X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BillH
    I'll second that story on the lawn chair
    with the balloons. It was seen by two pilots
    taking off out of LAX. The captain not wanting to be thought of as a kook said to
    the first officer upon spotting the guy in the lawn chair " What do you see over there?" Upon which The first officer said why sir it a man in a lawn chair being held up by balloons. The captain said that was my
    observation also. To make a long story short. A guy in Long Beach California decided to try tying a lot of ballons filled with helium to a lawn chair and take
    a ride up in the air. The plan was to punture the baloons one at a time to be able
    to come down. That is until he dropped the air pistol from his cold hands. He was spotted by the pilots at 10,000 feet.
    I was working at LAX when it happened.
    Everyone laughed because the captain did not
    want to come right out and say what he saw
    before asking the copilot what he saw before
    reporting it ti the tower.

Comment

Yankee: Your version of the lawn chair is just as Liddy tells it. And the shooting balloons would be one way of getting down.

When I was working at Swan Island there were only a few of us and a weather station on the island. Bored, we decided to use fish net, weather balloons a harness, and .22 pistol to deflate balloons. Weather guys say you lose about 1PSI pressure each 1000 feet you go up. I chickened out (others never committed) when I thought about "if you have not enough lift to stay up at 1000 feet, how much lift ain't you gonna have at sea level". Tether line would have worked, but we always had a breeze a few feet up.

How did that guy get down from 10,000 feet?

Comment

Gravity
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Hello Doc
          I'm not sure how they got him down but
          they did get him down safely because I
          heard that they gave him a hard time about
          pulling a stunt like that.It was in all the
          local newspapers.

Comment

Yes Evan, the gravity of the situation left an impression on me. Or the fear of leaving an impression in the dirt.

Comment

I wonder if the lawn chair guy left an impression in his pants---
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

About 6 months ago, watching the news, some one California I think made a rooster fly by tying tons of balloons to him. The rooster was ok though after he came back down. The Police officer talking to the reporters was trying his darndest to look serious and not laugh saying how he is going to find the punk who did this.

Comment

I remember watching the lawnchair balooonist episode of Mythbusters a few weeks ago. Totally true story. They produced the guy who did it, and his paperwork from the FAA where he got fined $1500.00(+or-) for that stunt.They also produced eyewitnesses to the occasion. Great episode.

Comment

Working...
                  X