does kbctools sell chinese HSS bits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does kbctools sell chinese HSS bits?

They have some HSS bits that are some brand that I don't recognise (actually, I don't remember if they even state the brand). Is this chinese quality?

Anything Chinese is advertised as "quality import".

You get what you pay for, but you know that.
    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Well are we talking about 'Taiwan' level of crap, or are we talking about 'China' level of crap? Do HSS bars have a greater variance in craposity as compared to pre-sharpened tools like endmills?

Comment

Steel in general from China can be a crap shoot...The material you get could be perfectly to standard and on par with the the best of the best or (and maybe more likely) it can be "close" but not quite right..Even though the mill certifies it to meet spec.. a seperate chem and phys is needed to actually check...

Comment

I bought a center drill which is definitely Chinese, there's a $1.12 I'll never get back.

I generally try to buy Niagara cutter for end mills and countersinks.

I now only buy "Quality Import" for HSS blanks. I've not had trouble with Chinese blanks but I may not know the difference.
          Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

http://www.kbctools.com/usa/Navigati...fm?PDFPage=245

On this page, they sell the no-name brand in short lenghts, the named brand in 12" lenghts and nothing else.

Also, what's with the huge price difference between the lenghts of HSS rounds, is it a mistake? See here: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=46834
            Last edited by Elninio; 03-03-2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I imagine anytime you see the words “Quality Import”, the products came from the cheapest supplier. Could be China, India, Pakistan Vietnam etc… whoever is the cheapest that month.

Although, I’ve been pleasantly surprised a few times by Enco; Their 3/8 DT cutters are made in Japan and are very nice, I ordered some keyway cutters advertised as “Quality Import” that were actually made in the USA.

For good quality HSS steel I would look at: http://arwarnerco.com/index.html
              Nice folks to deal with.

V/R

Mike
              Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hunter
                I ordered some keyway cutters advertised as “Quality Import” that were actually made in the USA.
                Mike
                "A lot of our imports come from overseas!" - George bush.
                And apparently, some of them, are produced localy.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

KBC = Generic China. Yes.
                  If this bothers you for whatever reason, just order here: Lathe Bits. I'm not trying to argue whether it should or shouldn't, BTW.

I don't get why people sweat the few bucks / possible metallurgical compromise for HSS tool blanks. I could understand it for blank carbide due to the comparative price escalation, but HSS bits are some of the least expensive and longest-lasting pieces of tooling you'll ever buy. Why sweat less than $5 between 'excellent' and 'okay'?
                  Last edited by Arthur.Marks; 03-03-2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Two things I would also like to mention here I've learned from experience:
                    1) You really don't need a whole handful of blanks. It is wishful thinking. If you're just starting out, get at most five.
                    2) If you need to split pennies, there is no reason each bit can't be ground on both ends.
                    3) There is no need to get the max. size bit for your toolholder/lathe dimensions! It won't make a difference except in your wallet. For that 1 time in a million, you can always buy a larger size when you need it.

Just my 2%

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur.Marks
                      KBC = Generic China. Yes.
                      If this bothers you for whatever reason, just order here: Lathe Bits. I'm not trying to argue whether it should or shouldn't, BTW.

I don't get why people sweat the few bucks
                      Part of the problem is we're in Kanukstan. We have one mail order tool house, KBC, pricey and with 1/50th the line items of McMaster. Stunningly, the big US industrial supply catalogue houses completely ignore this market; despite it being the size of California and Toronto alone have an industrial market the size of Chicago's. Digikey can put stuff on my doorstep the next morning from the States, and who has to deal with more sku's & small item picking than electronics distributors, yet Mcmaster et al haven't been able to cope with exporting to your countries biggest trading partner!

Unbelievable, I mean industrial supply has to be a pretty crappy business these days; mature, no or negative growth, hard to differentiate yourself, hammered margins and lots of competition. ....yet they are all ignoring an easy market that is next door and could provide 10% or more growth

So its a frustrating limited choice that influences us komrads choices.

Elnino, you should put your location in your profile so the guys would know
                      Last edited by Mcgyver; 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM.

Comment

We keep KBC HSS toolbits on the shelf at work for all the wood turners and pen makers in town.They use them for blanks for making turning tools.

All the KBC brand we have had are made in India.They are fair quality,but nothing to write home about in terms of metal cutting.Work great for wood turning tools.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                          Part of the problem is we're in Kanukstan. We have one mail order tool house, KBC, pricey and with 1/50th the line items of McMaster. Stunningly, the big US industrial supply catalogue houses completely ignore this market; despite it being the size of California and Toronto alone have an industrial market the size of Chicago's. Digikey can put stuff on my doorstep the next morning from the States, and who has to deal with more sku's & small item picking than electronics distributors, yet Mcmaster et al haven't been able to cope with exporting to your countries biggest trading partner!

Unbelievable, I mean industrial supply has to be a pretty crappy business these days; mature, no or negative growth, hard to differentiate yourself, hammered margins and lots of competition. ....yet they are all ignoring an easy market that is next door and could provide 10% or more growth

So its a frustrating limited choice that influences us komrads choices.

Elnino, you should put your location in your profile so the guys would know
                          It's the fault of our respective governments that things are FUBAR in cross boarder trade.

All the paperwork,taxes and brokerage fees are a nightmare and I don't blame folks for not doing business.

I also tend to think UPS and Fedex are lobbying both side to keep the BS in place.After All they make a killing in brokerage fees.
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Just got them, they're bipico made in india. On their website, I notice they also sell "BP 505 GRADE T42 WITH 10% COBALT AND CRYOGENIC TREATMENT " , what is cryogenic treatment?
                            Last edited by Elninio; 03-03-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Not meaning to raise a political argument. Elninio doesn't list his location.

Comment

Working...
                              X