? about wire EDM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about wire EDM

I have seen the final end product but never the process.... how wide is the "kerf" left by a wire EDM? Just sort of wondering how close one could nest parts when laying out the stock piece of steel.
    Video meliora proboque deteriora sequor

www.garagegunsmithing.com

Originally posted by Cobbler
    I have seen the final end product but never the process.... how wide is the "kerf" left by a wire EDM? Just sort of wondering how close one could nest parts when laying out the stock piece of steel.
    On a single pass, about 30% to 35% more than the wire size.

e.g. .010" wire, around .0135". It varies a bit on thickness of the material, power settings, etc, but that is a pretty close number.

What causes issues with nesting parts really closely isn't the cut width, but rather what happens to flushing efficiency when there is another "gap" very close to where you are cutting. I almost never have cuts closer than within ~.050"-.075" of each other.

PM

Comment

How fast does the wire move through the cut?

RWO

Comment

It depends on the thickness of the material, and the density (not hardness) of the material.

Maximum efficiency (most square inches of material cut) happens at between 1" and 2" in thickness (provided the top and bottom surface are flat so the flushing nozzles can be placed almost in contact with the material). If the material is thicker or thinner than that, efficiency (material removal) declines.

Comment

A little bit older post, but can't help it

Originally posted by RWO
          How fast does the wire move through the cut?

RWO
          Usual speed for the wire was 12-15 m/min and as said, the feed rate depends on the material, cutting parameters, flushing and thickness of the material. The best one I have achieved with a Fanuc 1iC was 13.7 mm/min feedrate, this was a 12 mm thick prehardened and ground steel plate.
          Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Working...
          X