OT diploma frame plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT diploma frame plans?

Anybody made one from brass, anodized metal, or something like that?

I just finished paying about $12,000 for this 8.5" x 11" piece of paper and I'm not putting it on a freaking piece of plastic or MDF. Pricing a quality solid wood frame makes me think I can have one made from metal for a similar amount that's not quite as bulky looking as the wood.

Any thoughts?

Roland
    Last edited by rmcphearson; 03-05-2011, 10:03 AM.
    -Roland
    Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Swing by your local Micheal's or JoAnne's, or some of the home decorating places. 8.5x11 is a standard document size. Shouldn't be hard to find pre-assembled ones.

Failing that, some of these places have assemble-it-yourself kits. Solid wood or extruded metal.

Did you just want it on the wall, or did you want it in a nice frame, matted, with UV-protective glass? The latter costs, but you can buy a mat cutter and the material, and fit it into a larger standard (11x14, 12x16, 16x20) frame.

To be honest, when Micheals runs their 60% off sale, a diploma into the more basic custom-built metal frames really isn't that bad, and there are a few formal-looking styles.

Yeah, guess where I work.

If you really do want to make it yourself, a frame is essentially just a piece of molding with a rabbit cut on the inner edge and the corners mitered 45 degrees and then joined. I imagine it's possible to find extruded trim online, and then just cut to length and miter.

Comment

I'll bite. What's on the paper?

I needed two 3/8" brass acorn nuts to restore an old feed store scale. Only source was 25. Now I have 23 left over. Thought they'd look good using all to decorate a nice brushed stainless frame. I just don't have anything to frame. My ying, your yang.

Comment

With almost any desktop publishing software now-a-days you can make a nice diploma for a lot less than that, and still have plenty left over for a frame.

Seriously, unless it's a diploma in framing, I'd go with the Micheal's suggestion. Presumably you want to draw attention to the contents, not the frame.
        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Metal frame

[QUOTE=rmcphearson]Anybody made one from brass, anodized metal, or something like that?

I just finished paying about $12,000 for this 8.5" x 11" piece of paper and I'm not putting it on a freaking piece of plastic or MDF. Pricing a quality solid wood frame makes me think I can have one made from metal for a similar amount that's not quite as bulky looking as the wood.

Speak to a local glass company , they may have aluninium extrusions which I have seen used for everything from mirror frames to photos .

Michael

Comment

Working...
          X