dro pros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dro pros

Any one buy read outs from dro pros? If so are they any good?
    Customer service any good?

http://www.dropros.com/

thanks

Be careful if you are considering magnetic scales. My understanding is that they lack accuracy when applied to machine tools. The link doesn't appear to even state the accuracy or the resolution.

Phil

Originally posted by old blue
    Any one buy read outs from dro pros? If so are they any good?
    Customer service any good?

http://www.dropros.com/

thanks

Comment

The DRO Pros Electronica line is just newly released. Their standard line remains available and has gotten favorable reviews most everywhere for accuracy, durability and customer service.

See: http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Mill...tm#DRO_PROS_3M

I don't own one, and I have no interest in the company, but I have been looking for a while now and these folks usually come highly recommended on the boards I visit.

YMMV

Brian
      Taxachusetts

Comment

Phil,
        While they wern't bought thru DRO Pros I bought Newall Magnetic Microsyn scales and display. They have far better repeatable accuracy than I can use. I would have bought from DRO Pros but they didn't carry the Newall unit I was interested in.

Pete
        Last edited by uncle pete; 03-05-2011, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Hi Pete, I have also just order a 2 axis lathe Newall unit. I think the Dro Pro magnetic system is a magnetic tape type arrangement. I might be wrong but it's a case of buyer beware.

Phil

Originally posted by uncle pete
          Phil,
          While thet wern't bought thru DRO Pros I bought Newall Magnetic Microsyn scales and display. They have far better repeatable accuracy than I can use. I would have bought from DRO Pros but they didn't carry the Newall unit I was interested in.

Pete

Comment

Phil,
            If you go onto Newalls website with your model numer of the scales they have all the specs listed. Newalls website can be a bit of a pain at times but you just might be suprised with the specs. Just don't confuse resolution with what the actual repeteable accuracy is. While I still need to get my DRO mounted, From the little bit I've seen I'd certainly buy another one.

Pete

Comment

I bought the Easson ES-10 for my Grizzly lathe from DRO Pro. It comes with glass scales.

Customer service was excellent. I have no complaints about the unit. It works as intended.

Comment

I spent a month or so on their web site before I ordered.

My point was that I don't think that the magnetic tape type (from Dro Pro) doesn't have the same accuracy and resolution as the Newall Sphersoyn and Microsyn magnetic systems.

Phil

Originally posted by uncle pete
                Phil,
                If you go onto Newalls website with your model numer of the scales they have all the specs listed. Newalls website can be a bit of a pain at times but you just might be suprised with the specs. Just don't confuse resolution with what the actual repeteable accuracy is. While I still need to get my DRO mounted, From the little bit I've seen I'd certainly buy another one.

Pete

Comment

Phil,
                  Sorry, I didn't know you had a different type of magnetic scale. Then my previous comments have no bearing on your system.

Pete

Comment

I thought they (DRO pros) where glass scales. The one I bought for my lathe is.

Comment

Originally posted by philbur
                      I spent a month or so on their web site before I ordered.

My point was that I don't think that the magnetic tape type (from Dro Pro) doesn't have the same accuracy and resolution as the Newall Sphersoyn and Microsyn magnetic systems.

Phil

If they are anything similar to the magnetic linear encoder that is used in my laser cutter then they have a 10u resolution with +/- 1 count repeatability.

http://www.smbownelectrical.co.uk/ma...00-E_11-06.pdf

Comment

Phil,
                        By the way, What model of Newall DRO did you buy?

Mototed, It all depends on the exact brand you bought from DRO Pros, Newall as far as I know only produce the magnetic type, But I think some of their displays will interface with certain types of glass scales.

Pete
                        Last edited by uncle pete; 03-05-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

The link quotes the accuracy as:

Accuracy in mm (at 20 ° C) +/- (0.01 + 0.02 x L*) * L = Measuring length in meters

That + or - 30 microns per meter. A typical glass scale or the Newall magnetic system is 5 micron per meter.

Also the 10 micron resolution means you could be out by nearly 0.001" on diameter when turning.

Phil

Originally posted by macona
                          If they are anything similar to the magnetic linear encoder that is used in my laser cutter then they have a 10u resolution with +/- 1 count repeatability.

http://www.smbownelectrical.co.uk/ma...00-E_11-06.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Ron of Va
                            I bought the Easson ES-10 for my Grizzly lathe from DRO Pro. It comes with glass scales.

Customer service was excellent. I have no complaints about the unit. It works as intended.
                            How difficult was the install with the glass scales?
                            I've done the newall sys. before but not the glass scales.

Comment

Originally posted by old blue
                              How difficult was the install with the glass scales?
                              I've done the newall sys. before but not the glass scales.
                              Old Blue, the install wasn’t that bad. It was the first one I had ever done, so I proceeded with cautious optimism. I was inspired by Steve Bedair’s pictorial. http://bedair.org/Grizzly12x/GrizzlyG4003G.html

(I photographed the entire process of the Easson install as well, and DRO Pro asked for some of the photos. The photos were sent and some were posted on their web site. I am told that they use them frequently and are emailed to customers who have questions. Who would have thunk it.)

Comment

Working...
                              X