I've gone through 2 power vacs since I started Metal working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've gone through 2 power vacs since I started Metal working

What kind of power vac do you guys use? I'd like it to be relatively quiet but longevity may win out.

I need to buy my third vac now that it screams at me when I turn it on.

Rob
    Rob

Vaccing away oily swarf will wash the grease out of you motor bearings.
    Leave the machine overnight for the coolant to drain away before you hoover away the swarf .

Comment

I've got an old craftman shop vac I picked up about 15 years ago...I've used it for everything from digging post holes (don't laugh..it works) to a dust collector on my sandblaster and I constantly vacuum up oily chips/swarf...I can't kill it.

Comment

I have a larger Rigid (Home Depot). It has been used for woodworking for the past 15+ years and swarf for the past 7+. Good suction at high air volume.

Been through one hose and a couple of filters, but it's still going strong. I do clean it out frequently. If I had the space, I'd also use a cyclonic separator as it makes vac cleaning less frequent, keeps your vac system running at peak performance and keeps most damaging material out the actual vac............

Comment

Originally posted by rmuell01
          What kind of power vac do you guys use? I'd like it to be relatively quiet but longevity may win out.

I need to buy my third vac now that it screams at me when I turn it on.

Rob
          make yourself a little cyclone to put between your vac and the work i built one and it saves a lot of crap going into the vac if you need details let me know i will send you a photo of the unit and details jack

Comment

Originally posted by jack3140
            make yourself a little cyclone to put between your vac and the work i built one and it saves a lot of crap going into the vac if you need details let me know i will send you a photo of the unit and details jack
            please share it with the group.
            Rob

Comment

I must admit I went for cheapest. And just throw it away when it dies. I just assumed nothing would hold up. But if the name brand ones work for that long. I would pay to invest in one. The cyclone attachment sounds great! Let’s see the pix’s.

Comment

I have this one and it works great. http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Ga...eparator/G6102 works with a 5 gal bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by lbhsbz
                  I've used it for everything from digging post holes

LOL

I as well have a craftsman and love it!
                  Andy

Comment

I also have a Crapsman and it sucks really it sucks, would probably suck the warts off a frog if I could find one to try it on (lol). On my second hose, and put a Tyvex filter on, what ever type of vac. you get make sure its a bi-pass type that keeps all the dust out of the motor.

Comment

Here are some excellent detailed plans for building a cyclone collector. Our wooden brothers sometimes have a few good ideas.
                      http://lumberjocks.com/SimonSKL/blog/10097

Comment

I have used a Shop Vac brand for 30 years with good results. Daughter gave me a new home depot brand that works well to .I gave the Shop vac to a buddy he still using it.
                        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by T_henry
                          I have this one and it works great. http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Ga...eparator/G6102 works with a 5 gal bucket.
                          Hey you should support your name

They may look cute ..but they are the most reliable and robust vacs Britain produces.

he has a sister called Hetty .and bigger bothers called Charles and George

all the best.markj
                          Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 03-06-2011, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmuell01
                            please share it with the group.
                            ok no problem i will take pictures tomorrow and post them jack ps it somewhat like the one t henry shows a link for

Comment

Central shop Vac
                              Sears shop vac is outside. Same one for 20 years
                              I have a 2 inch PVC pipe in the floor leading to the shop vac, from the center of the shop
                              The 20 gallon grease drum has a open end coffee can attached to the lid,
                              The tangential copper pipe is soft soldered to the drum and the chips stay on the wall, while air goes up and into the vacuum feed
                              The flag in the drum bottom knocks down the swirlers, and is normally at right angles to the wall. Clean the drum every 6 months
                              Thsi setup is so quiet, I sometimes forget to shut it off

Comment

Working...
                              X