my humble shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my humble shop

Seeing other people's shops is interesting to me. I finally purchased a camera and decided to post some pictures of my shop. Everything is in the basement and was put there by myself without any help from others (I had to put a stairway in from the garage to get the heavy stuff in). It took me about 15 years to accumulate everything but because of the business I'm in most of it was dirt cheap.

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/v...a6c78aeadfcd2d

The first picture is of a drill grinder I made, it will sharpen a bit up to 1". The lathe has VFD, DRO's and an independant carriage power feed. The Tree mill has Newall DRO. Seven of the machines are three phase and run off of the RPC I made.

Thanks for humoring me.

Dan

Is that an optical comparator in photo #6?

Roger
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Yes Roger, it is a Covel 14. Cost me the sweat of moving it, so the price was right.

[This message has been edited by BFHAMR (edited 01-02-2004).]

Comment

Wow! nice shop. Thanks for the tour.
        To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

That's awesome. What's the thing to th eleft of your Rockwell bandsaw?

John

------------------
          Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.
          Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

Comment

WOW, that's beautiful! You have many very special toys. All in the basement, that's a big job by itself. Thanks for the look see.

Bernie

Comment

WOW!!!!
              Great shop!!!

I am going to post mine so you can see how LUCKY you are!.

What kind of stuff do you make?

Bob

Comment

John, I believe it is a press brake, it has interchangable dies that bend material to various angles. It was free and I'm a sucker for machines.

Bob, I mostly make chips and messes. I love fixing things and I frequently make tools to allow me to do things easier. Here is a link to a tool I made to check drawbar pull on CNC machining centers. I can also check the preload on the spindle bearings and the push out force when releasing the tool.

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/100_0026.jpg

Comment

Dan,

Nice Shop!!!

The drill grinder you made looks like a good project for HMS.

Mike

Comment

Beautiful! I'm not sure if you know it but an organized shop is the sign of a sick mind or so I was told. I seen the generous us of duck tape in one photo so you can't be that sick. Love classics.

Comment

I am very impressed with your drill grinder,could you comment on the design and how well it works? It looks like a darex5?

Any chance of you selling plans for it?

Comment

quasi,
                        A friend purchased a Lisle (I think) drill grinder, he was kind enough to allow me to disassemble and measure up the parts. One cam in particular was difficult to measure. My solution was to use a CNC mill to measure points on the cam and then use the same mill to produce a copy of it. I don't know how I could produce the info to allow a HSM'r to do it himself/herself.

As far as how well does it work .... It works very well for what I do I can sharpen anywhere from 1/8" up to 1". Typical sharpening time for the smaller drills is in the range of a minute or less.

Dan

[This message has been edited by BFHAMR (edited 01-02-2004).]

Comment

dan,

great shop! i wish my basement didn't have any humidity problems as that is a beautiful setup.

i was also wondering about that thing to the left of the bandsaw in photo #5. so it's some type of small brake? neat.

i have another ID question for you. in photo #6 next to the optical comparator, is that a small surface grinder? the reason i ask is i have some parts that a guy gave me when he was cleaning up after a yard sale. the parts appear to be the base, the back piece (the large casting that the spindle moves up and down in) and the complete spindle assembly. by chance would you be able to get some close-up photos of that grinder? i'd like to see if i have enough parts to get it partially together. this is the first time i have ever seen a similar one.

thanks.

andy b.
                          The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Great shop, Dan. It may have taken you awhile but you sure have a nice set up.

Comment

Sweet...The 2VG must have been a bear to move in by yourself. I hear they are a couple pounds heavier than my 2UVR. Thanks for the shop pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X