Vacuum pump Maple Syrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum pump Maple Syrup

Anyone have experience with Maple Syrup production? Today while forraging for food (Ha Ha) in the woods I met a farmer who was doing a Maple Syrup setup. I found him Pleasant to talk to and he answered all my questions. He said he needed a new vacuum pump? I bought one years ago from Coffer Robotics Tunnel Hill Georgia. Im thinkingm of giving him it? Im not sure it will work? Any ideas guys ?? Thanx Mike

Vacuum pumps can exist as gear, screw, or vane. I have a rotary vane vacuum pump, it wouldn't work with this one; constant rubbing of the graphite palettes, do you want that in your syrup?

Comment

I finished about a half gallon today on my new home built evaporator. Seems that MapleTrader.com is the place to go to ask such questions. Lots of good stainless fabricators there. Yummy stuff!!

Comment

Is he using it to create a vacuum in plastic tubes coming from the trees, maybe? I can't think of any other possible application in maple syrup production, at least not as practiced in New England.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Maple Syrup

I was interested to learn that the maple syrup producers use the same refractometer that I use to check water soluble machine coolant.
          Kansas City area

Comment

nice of you to think of that Mike, but I'd bet he needs (and hopefully knows this) something food grade?

Comment

There was a how its made TV program on the other day that showed all this.

i remember it saying that the sap coming out of the trees contained only 2 percent of the product ..and the water had to be evaporated off until it was concentrated

just looked it up... season 2 episode 9

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                There was a how its made TV program on the other day that showed all this.

i remember it saying that the sap coming out of the trees contained only 2 percent of the product ..and the water had to be evaporated off until it was concentrated

just looked it up... season 2 episode 9

all the best.markj

forty gallons of sap for one gallon of syrup.
                Rob

Comment

No such thing really as a food grade vacuum. The couple vacuum pumps I have seen in food equipment are pretty normal oil sealed rotary van pumps. I have a Busch pump that was from wine processing equipment.

There should be no danger of backstreaming oil back as there will be a constant discharge of water vapor as it boils off.

You would want a pump with a gas ballast though as pumping water vapor is pretty hard on pumps, and probably why his died.

A liquid ring pump may be a good choice for this process as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rmuell01
                    forty gallons of sap for one gallon of syrup.
                    found childhold memories of a big cast iron pot hanging from three fence stakes. i'm not that old, they had the tube systems, but we just did a little bit for kicks. Whats more fun for a boy than an all day outdoor fire to play with?

Jerry, I don't really know anything about vacumm pumps and food...was just guessing because everything food seems to be special seals, stainless etc...... and I can see some farmer rigging up a used shop vac or such. the 'they'll never know' approach to problem solving
                    Last edited by Mcgyver; 03-08-2011, 08:42 PM.

Comment

A guy that worked for Dr. Pepper gave me a diaphragm type, worked as vacuum pump or compressor. We rigged it up with small clear plastic hose and hooked it up to one of the stainless syrup containers and used it to suck coolant out of car radiators. Just reverse the hoses and pump it right back in, if the coolant was still good.
                      James

Comment

I would think an oilless or diaphragm type vacuum pump would be the best choice. They have medical grade pumps that are stainless and teflon piston pumps. Like James said, they can be used in either vacuum or pressure. Best part is that they are maintanence free and don't suffer from pumping water vapor or even caustic gasses.

Comment

Medical Grade??

After being in his shack i dont think he cares. The Mennonites here burn Car Tires for heat, The smoke settles into the air comes down as it cools and ends up in the Sugar Buckets Hence the Elmira Maple Sugar Festival Was Born Years ago. Thousands of people enjoyed quarts ,, Gallons of highly carcigenic Rubber smoke particulate Laden maple Syrup and all said the same thing """YUMMY GIMME MORE MUMMY "" I went once as I live a short distance away. I remember the Menonite shingles (cut up car tires they burnt) smell made me ill. Never went back ,,SO in retrospect this Guy uses all new plastic lines fittings, the vacuum is generated in a type of pressure vessel holding tank that is NOT directly linked to maple syrup going through the pump so to speak. Biggest concern is duty cycle will pump run 24 -7 for a day at least possibly two. He was talking about a water cooled pump and i told him just place a bucket around the pump and pile snow into it to cool it . He thought that was a good idea (im the idea man around farmers here haha. My pump is a one horsepowewr 3 phase Gast Model R4310A-A puts out max 50 in H2o with 60 hertz powewr and 35 in H2o with 50 hertz power. Im going to try it out and maybe sell it to him for a Million dollars??? Later Mike

Comment

Ad On

Regenerative Blowers

Gast's Regenair regenerative blower line for high volume vacuum or compressed air applications offers motor-mounted, separate drive, and models with explosion-proof motors used in Soil Vapor Extraction (SVE).

· Double-sealed, permanently lubricated bearings on many models minimize maintenance while maximizing performance
                            · The design ensures exhausted air is always clean and oil-free
                            · Integrated mufflers on single ended units minimize operating noise and eliminate the hazard of an exposed impeller
                            · Strong fan cooling helps dissipate heat around bearings and impeller housing, prolonging bearing life and allowing cooler air delivery.
                            · All blower models shown are equipped with UL & CSA certified motors except separate drive models

For a general overview of our regenerative blower line, download the regenerative blower page from our full-line catalog (pdf format, 93KB).

This is the type im going to use with a pressure vessel for maple syrup extraction? Wil lsee how it works. I will mount the suction inlet 3 feet aboove the outflow of the tank so ingress of maple fluid comes near the pump .i think its sealed any how Thanx all Mike

Comment

In my old days I've messed with sweet sorghum molasses making and maple syrup.With sorghum you only need to evaporate 1:10 or thereabouts but need to skim off the scum more or less constantly to get a good product.With maple syrup its about 1:40 but little if any scum.By the way I like the syrup better from soft maples(plenty of them in Missouri)than hard maples.-Recently read an article about what looks like a backflow preventer used on the collector tubing which seems to create a kind of vacuum and only costs 35 cents or so and is used as a spout also.

Comment

Working...
                              X