long curly razor sharp chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long curly razor sharp chips

I've seen several threads here about the importance of chip breakers lately, and how those curly chips can be dangerous.

My South Bend 'How to Run a Lathe" book, however, shows lathes spewing forth super-long chips in many of the drawings. Is this some sort of a brag, or did we get smarter? What gives?

In a machine shop they don't always have time to worry about a big curling chips. It is a dangerous situation though because I have seen the time the the long curl gets in the way of disengaging the carriage or cross feed and that can be a serious issue.

I prefer to find a setting of DOC, feed and rpm that makes a manageable chip even it it wants to ball up rather than break into smaller pieces. Sometimes it just won't break up no matter what I do so I try for the chip to ball up as much as possible.

If it runs out in a long string I start changing things to get rid of that as it is EXTREMELY dangerous.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Long chips on a manual machine aren't such a problem. The big problem with long chips is on CNC machines with chip conveyors. There long chips are a problem, hence the need for chip breakers on carbide inserts.

Michael

Comment

It's the bird's nests that I worry about since they can suddenly start spinning along with the chuck. It doesn't matter as much with aluminum since that tends not to cut you (although it can mess up your finish), but mild steels and drill rod tend to make pretty sharp chips. My solution isn't a very good one. I just try to avoid those metals as much as possible
        Stuart de Haro

Comment

You can also break chips by just interrupting feed rate every now and then.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I don't worry so much about those tight heavy thick chips that stay together, just direct them into a bucket and they will feed right in and coil up. It is those razor sharp chips that break at a ft. or two long and ball up and then get to flinging around that worry be, You can usually grind a chipbreaker into a hss tool that will cure that, although when you do that and after multiple regrinds you have lost the form of the tool, and are into the chipbreaker, you then have to regrind the tool completely.
            James

Comment

Working...
            X