Rockwell drill press chuck removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Tiers
    .................................................. .................................................. ...

I wasn't aware that the chucks have a part that locks in with the collar.... if that is true, that's a *huge* "demerit", since I would not suppose those have been made for many years.

.................................................. .................................................. ...

There is no morse taper that is any good that falls out..... it must have dings etc. I had one chinese press that everything fell out of. When I looked, I found that the socket was never ground, it was only rough-turned. Good thing I got it very used........

The collared chucks are still available. IIRC, Jacobs 633C is one. Rohm also may still make one. Supreme was the other big player in the field, but seem to have disappeared.

You're right about the Morse tapers, they SHOULDN'T fall out. But, that's not the real world. Almost every machine I've seen with a vertical spindle using a Morse taper where there's force required to retract the cutter will have dropped the tool at one time or another. And, it only takes a time or two before the taper is dinged from a spinning tool dropping out.

Back in my pre-CNC days I had a couple big 20" DP's with #3 Morse spindles. One was used for large diameter tapping, the other had a heavy multi-spindle head on it. I got so tired of the tapers dropping out I ground an undercut on the tool shanks. And, put a tapped collar with a set screw around the spindle. Problem solved, no way could they ever drop.

Comment

Apparently "not no more, they don't".

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=37935

However, that data must be old..... The Jacobs website did not come up with any of those numbers.

MSC UK website did, but was shown as "cached", so probably old. US MSC found nada.

http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk/JDC...Y/product.html

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Fwiw, the Sears P/N for the collared JT33 style chuck is 71318 (5/8" cap.). No idea who manufactures the chucks for sears.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...71318/0009/113

Comment

Apparently "not no more, they don't".

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=37935

However, that data must be old..... The Jacobs website did not come up with any of those numbers.

MSC UK website did, but was shown as "cached", so probably old. US MSC found nada.

http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk/JDC...Y/product.html

Apparently Jacobs changed the part number and possibly the design slightly, but still available with the locking collar.

34-33C, approx $88 +/-.

Comment

Originally posted by DR
            Apparently Jacobs changed the part number and possibly the design slightly, but still available with the locking collar.

34-33C, approx $88 +/-.
            Not when I searched the Jacobs site..... Their search (goofle-powered) suggested several off-site hits, including lingerie, but no such part.

if you know about it, let's see the link. AFAIK, it's no longer made

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by dfw5914
              Fwiw, the Sears P/N for the collared JT33 style chuck is 71318 (5/8" cap.). No idea who manufactures the chucks for sears.

Thanks, Ive been searching for a chuck with over 1/2" capacity and a 33jt. even considered making a 3jt-33jt adapter so that I could put a larger chuck on my Rockwell 15-655, but I guess sears had one all along.

Comment

Not when I searched the Jacobs site..... Their search (goofle-powered) suggested several off-site hits, including lingerie, but no such part.

if you know about it, let's see the link. AFAIK, it's no longer made

http://www.jacobschuck.com/images/pr...%20(ENG)-1.pdf

About midway down the heavy duty chuck listing.

I found it by looking for a chuck with the suffix "C". 34-33C.

In the recent past I've had some trouble finding Jacobs products too. When looking for the rebuild kits I gave up and called Jacobs, they told me they were no longer available, but my local dealer said he orders them all the time.

Also, go to the MSC site and search on "34-33C", it comes up. Unfortunately they use the generic chuck picture so you can't see the colar.
                Last edited by DR; 03-12-2011, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dfw5914

I'm suspicious of this. Sears says soemthing about this being a functional equivalent. That could mean it's 33 taper, but no collar.

5/8" capacity smells like offshore. AFAIK, no offshore DP's used the locking collar so this would almost have to be a special made for Sears if in fact it does have the collar (which I doubt).

Comment

They are also available from Victor, who include the locking collar in their description. You have to scroll past the import listings to the Jacobs chucks;

http://www.victornet.com/subdepartme...hucks/550.html

As far as I know, the drill press arbor is a full 33JT, and plain 33JT chucks will work. It is a common mount for chucks in this size range and use of a chuck less the locking collar should not present any major problems.

I believe the original purpose was to provide an easy method of chuck removal to permit use of other JT accessories rather than chuck retention.
                    Jim H.

Comment

I suspect I may have searched for a 33-34C, which is NOT available

if it is a straight 33 taper, that's convenient. At some time it was asserted that the taper was not exactly like a 33, but looking at the part number (the correct one) a "34-33" would be a 33 mount, 34-33C one with "C" collar.
                      Last edited by J Tiers; 03-12-2011, 01:44 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

I suspect I may have searched for a 33-34C, which is NOT available

if it is a straight 33 taper, that's convenient. At some time it was asserted that the taper was not exactly like a 33, but looking at the part number (the correct one) a "34-33" would be a 33 mount, 34-33C one with "C" collar.
                        I have a small tapping head that has a JT33 w/collar configuration. It currently has a standard 1/2" straight JT33 arbor installed so I believe the taper is the same.

Comment

Yes, I have a question about the removal of the chuck on the Rockwell drill press. Some people state that you need a wedge to remove it and other say to unscrew it. So which is it? The locking ring above the chuck has 3 holes in it, and it is right hand thread.

So do you wind it down against the chuck and continue winding it down until the chuck coes off?

Does the chuck unscrew or does it just get pushed off by winding down the lock nut?

I put a drift pin in the lock nut while I attempted to wind it down against the chuck while I held the chuck with the chuck key and it still did nothing. Would not come off.

I tried raising the lock nut and putting a wedge between the lock nut and the chuck and beating the wedge with a hammer and it would not budge.

What am I doing wrong???

What do I need to do to remove the chuck???

Please explain how to do this step by step. Because what I've been doing is not working.

foreman33

Comment

Working...
                          X