X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wanabeone
    • Feb 2011

edelstaal mill

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a full size Edelstaal turret knee mill? I tried to find info on it and can't find anything other than the small combo's that they made. It looks very well built just the parts and manual part of the deal I am worried about. I am no mill mechanic.
    Also, I would like to thank the people that made responses to a post I made about a leaking quill. I had a medical emergency.
  • SGW
    • Apr 2001

That should be a good mill. I wouldn't be too concerned about parts or a manual. Unless you do something really stupid nothing is going to break, and anything short of a critical-to-operation part you can probably make, if you need to. As far the manual...what will that tell you? Lubrication requirements is about the only thing, and you can make a reasonably intelligent guess on that. It might be of use if you ever need to disassemble the mill, but sensible and cautious figuring out how it comes apart will probably suffice.
    Last edited by SGW; 03-11-2011, 12:12 PM.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• uncle pete
      • Jul 2008

Well I probably just did what you did and checked Tonys Lathes co. uk. site. Nothing there even in the manuals.

Pete

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
        • Aug 2002

In Germany Edelstahl refers to stainless steel.I take it it's not stainless steel so the makers must have that adopted name for themselves unless of course it is stainles steel then I am a blithering idiot frothing madly at the orbicularis oris. Alistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

• ikdor
          • Aug 2009

Edelstaal is dutch for stainless steel (however it's an uncommon term for it).

Don't know of a manufacturer by that name, but that doesn't mean much.

Igor

Comment

• uncle pete
            • Jul 2008

Edelstaal made at one time a lathe called the Machinex 5 I think it was called. That's the only machine tool of that name I know about.

Pete

Comment

• Waterlogged
              • Sep 2006

American Edelstaal used to be an importer of machinery somewhere around the 70's -80's timeframe. I believe American Edelstaal used to sell the Emco FB2 but that isn't a knee mill. I assume they imported other brands as well. A picture would help.

Comment

• sasquatch
                • May 2006

Wasn,t the American Edestal back then the same as a Unimat?? Maybe not?

Comment

• uncle pete
                  • Jul 2008

Sasquach,
                  The Machinex lathe model I'm thinking of was around the same size as the Emco Compact 5 Lathe. Maybe? A bit longer in the C-C length tho.

It's odd that the mill posted about doesn't turn up in the few searches I've done.

Pete

Comment

• tlfamm
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by sasquatch
                    Wasn,t the American Edestal back then the same as a Unimat?? Maybe not?

As Waterlogged noted, American Edelstaal was an import enterprise - there was also a Canadian Edelstaal. Both existed since the early/mid 1960's, and they did import Unimat lathes. They also imported the Multi-Matic 8, a bench-top combo woodworking system.

This Dec, 1964 Popular Mechanics magazine has two Edelstaal advertisements, one for the Unimat, and one for the Multi-Matic:

Popular Mechanics inspires, instructs and influences readers to help them master the modern world. Whether it’s practical DIY home-improvement tips, gadgets and digital technology, information on the newest cars or the latest breakthroughs in science -- PM is the ultimate guide to our high-tech lifestyle.
                    Last edited by tlfamm; 03-11-2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X