Max rpm for dead centers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lane
    Ifen it aint got ball bearings it is dead. If it does it`s live , simple as that.
    I got a tomcat with the same attitde. The equipment he bears is his badge of authority and all the other cats better take notice.

Wait, weren't we talking lathes?.

Comment

Read my post again lane. If it turns with the work, it is live. Are you saying that a center with roller bearings would be dead?

Comment

Taken from the Hercus book.
        If it turns with the work it's live, with or without bearings.
        [IMG][/IMG]
        Angelo

Comment

I think this is an evolving terminology, it depends how old your books are.

'Live' used to mean under power, similar to the way 'live' is used in electricity. So the thing in the headstock is the 'live center' the thing in the tailstock the dead center. As the use of a rotating ball bearing center in the tailstock has become the norm, it has seemed weird to call the moving thing 'dead' and the solid thing 'live' so the names have gotten reversed.

If you go here http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/...A2lathe+center You will see a major catalog listing all solid centers as 'dead centers' and all rotating centers as 'live'.

Alas, this crass modern world has not care for the correct use of words. If catalogs in the UK list these tools under their correct appellations I may consider emigration.

Comment

Originally posted by angelo49
            Taken from the Hercus book.
            If it turns with the work it's live, with or without bearings.
            Angelo
            Nice try, but I can trump that
            According to Messrs A. Greer (C. Eng, MRAes), W.H. Howell (C. Eng., MI Prod E, MIQA, MISM) and F.R. Willmore (DLC Hons, M.Coll. H) who were senior lectures in Mechanical Engineering and Metalworking at some of the UKs formeost colleges, and who wrote the bibles for Mechanical Enginnering and Toolmaking Apprentices, then the following nomenclature applies:

It's just that you lot over the water seem to have trouble with proper English, just like the way way you can't spell Aluminium correctly

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by fciron
              I think this is an evolving terminology, it depends how old your books are.

'Live' used to mean under power, similar to the way 'live' is used in electricity. So the thing in the headstock is the 'live center' the thing in the tailstock the dead center. As the use of a rotating ball bearing center in the tailstock has become the norm, it has seemed weird to call the moving thing 'dead' and the solid thing 'live' so the names have gotten reversed.

If you go here http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/...A2lathe+center You will see a major catalog listing all solid centers as 'dead centers' and all rotating centers as 'live'.

Alas, this crass modern world has not care for the correct use of words. If catalogs in the UK list these tools under their correct appellations I may consider emigration.
              I think you're dead right if I'm truthful, but then if we admitted that all the time we wouldn't have as much fun with baiting each other as we do.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Neill
                I think you're dead right if I'm truthful, but then if we admitted that all the time we wouldn't have as much fun with baiting each other as we do.

Peter
                OH, NO!

I don't want to ruin our fun. I bet if I look hard enough I can find the word 'dead' attached to one of those rotating thing-um-ma-bobs. ;-)

Comment

This is a live discussion about the dead.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

It seems that the headstock center is always live, at least when the spindle is rotating. The tailstock center can be either live or dead. So if you have a dead one in the tailstock and you want to bring it back to life all you have to do is put it in the headstock. The ones with bearings are apparently immortal!!

Or something like that.
                    Don Young

Comment

Originally posted by Don Young
                      It seems that the headstock center is always live, at least when the spindle is rotating. The tailstock center can be either live or dead. So if you have a dead one in the tailstock and you want to bring it back to life all you have to do is put it in the headstock. The ones with bearings are apparently immortal!!

Or something like that.
                      I've seen some that are better described as "undead".

Comment

Working...
                      X