Help, Swiss Mike question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, Swiss Mike question...

I was given this as a useful looking birthday present.
    It appears to be a 5 position, 0 - 125 mm micrometer.
    Googling finds no information, and I cant figure out how to move the positions.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Case:

Contents:

The blackened Knurled piece looks like the locking mech, but it doesnt move enough to unlock it. It does wobble a little.

cheers

Dave
    Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Very cool Dave.
    Never seen one like that.

What's in the hollow bit under Swiss patent?

Anything in the end of the long shaft with the detents?

I'd guess it's stuck, try to wait for the old smart guys to comment before you take the screw out of that spring!!
    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

That is a most interesting piece. I'll be anxious to see how your exploration of its function develops. It looks like the black knurled ring has had a small pin spanner applied to it. The hole looks more worn to one side and the opposite side of the knurl shows where the body of the spanner rested for leverage.

The balls are interesting. My first thought was that to set 25mm increments accurately they used a series of balls which can be made to very uniform sizes. A wedge between adjacent balls at each stop position could insure repeatability and eliminate the need to grind slots as registers to such high accuracy. However, the holes in the balls are a puzzle. I don't see the function of them, and if a hole lined up adjacent to my proposed wedge it would ruin the accuracy.

Please keep us informed as you explore this.
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Swiss Mike

I agree with the pin spanner assessment. I would start by taking off the leaf spring on the side to see if there is anything underneath to give additional clues as to what the mechanism might be.

Comment

Wow! What an interesting piece. It makes me drool.

My guess is you rotate the knurled collar adjacent to the spring. This raises the spring detent so you can reposition the frame to another setting. The adjustable looking screws are so you can calibrate its settings. You snug them up to oppose each other. The detent is pointy so it nestles between the radiused screw heads.

Beautiful tool, superbly made but I can see why it didn't catch on: senstive to mishandling and susceptible to lost motion between sleeve and the frame tube. I'd put it in my cool tool and technical curiosity collection. I woudn't trust it for general use. I bet the piece you have is part of a pilot run sent out to salesmen to test the market. Thus I think it's a rare item. Are any knowledgeable collectors looking in?
          Last edited by Forrest Addy; 03-13-2011, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Forrest Addy has it correct, I think.

Does it have a patent number on the device?

[edit] I suspect the patent will be for the locating mechanism

Bill
            Last edited by BillTodd; 03-13-2011, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Never seen one before so just guessing.

Can you remove the end of the tubular shaft and take the measuring sticks out, then slide the anvil up to a new position after first fitting however many sticks are needed to get the range ?

The black knurled screw locks onto the installed sticks ?

At least this is how I'd design one

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

My guess is that what appears to be balls are actually cylinders with hemispherical ends. The cylinders would be made in two pieces and threaded together. The holes would be for tommy bars for calibration.
                Jim

Comment

Ive taken some more photos.
                  The setting pieces are threaded, and lock against each other to set the position.

Under the spring is the locking bar. The knurled piece must move this out of the v groove somehow, but I cant figure out how.

The pin spanner (I forgot to include a photo of it in the first set) hole is in a tighten up position iyswim, and I cant rotate the knurled ring by hand the other way. Im reluctant to use pliers on it yet...

Dave
                  Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Can you pull the knurled knob straight out from the frame. The piece you removed looks like a spring that's meant to hold that bar in place between the adjusters and the knob locks it in place.

I wonder if pulling the knob will let you twist the tube and slide it from one position to another.
                    Gene

Comment

FWIW. I think you need to turn the knurled wheel down, away from the spring to release the locking bar (see attached picture)

Comment

Anyone found the patent yet?
                        James Kilroy

Comment

I think we are still waiting for Swiss Mike to answer the question.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                            I think we are still waiting for Swiss Mike to answer the question.
                            Any relation to Swiss Tony?

Comment

Originally posted by jkilroy
                              Anyone found the patent yet?
                              No, but I suspect that it would have to cite this one:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Ifp...page&q&f=false

Comment

Working...
                              X