Alternative to knurling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to knurling?

I need to turn a peice of .6" OD SS bar, 1.5" long. Drilled and taped (3/8 X 16) all the way through. It needs to look very nice and have a grip so it can be hand tightened. Tried out the chinese knurling tool today and it was just garbage, could barely make an impression in aluminum. Im going to make a knurling tool on my mill but it wont be here untill next week and I need this job done in 5 days. Any tips on a way I can use my lathe to create a nice looking, gripable surface?

rig up something to index off a gear at the back, set a V tool up sideways and 'plane' a straight knurl? which a chamfer at each end these can look very clean and professional

Comment

Having a hard time picturing that, any pics possible?

Comment

Just turn a number of very narrow grooves.

Never tried it but one suggestion read some time back was to thread RH and then thread again LH

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea

Never tried it but one suggestion read some time back was to thread RH and then thread again LH
          I thought about the LH + RH threading but Im not sure I could do it where it would look nice.

Also thought about a bunch of very narrow grooves but am not sure how well that would work for gripping.

Comment

Cut two large threads, one left and one right-hand, something like four or two TPI.

Comment

Originally posted by S&S_ShovelHead
              Having a hard time picturing that, any pics possible?
              a straight knurl, like this:

http://media.digikey.com/photos/Keys...hotos/2073.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea

I've done it and it works well. coarse multi start threads cut shallow make for a very nice feel and good grip

Comment

What Mcgyver said...mount your thread cutting tool sideways.
                  Start at one end & "scratch" a deep groove horizontally the length that you want. (hand cranking the lathe carriage)
                  Rotate chuck however many degrees you want, & repeat as necessary.

Comment

What they are trying to tell you is first align the knurling tool perpendicular to the work. Then move the knurler so the knurling wheels are pointing slightly toward the tail stock. It just takes a few degrees of angle, like 2 or 3 degrees.

Knurling SS is hard to do and it takes a good knurler to do it and a little experimenting.

I suggest you take a piece of SS turned to the .6" that sticks out of the chuck about 2 1/2". Then knurl that and then drill and tap the hole then part it off.
                    It's only ink and paper

Comment

I tried several of the mentioned methods but none really worked well enough. If I can get a good knurling tool locally then the job would pay for it (and Ide hate to lose the job).

Any thoughts on the tool in the top right? http://www.kbctools.com/can/Navigati...fm?PDFPage=390
                      It looks like they have a chinese one (KBC brand) & and american (Eagle rock one) for almost triple the price.

Comment

Unless you have a HUGE lathe and are knurling aluminum, Yea, you basicly need the sissor type knurler, I think I got mine for like $60 off ebay. Seems to work ok. have not used it much however.. came with 3 diffrent pitch of wheels however, that was nice.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Are the knurled wheels from the chinese knurler OK? If so, there is the possibility of building a scissor knurler..... Be almost as fast as ordering one from a supply house.
                          Last edited by camdigger; 03-16-2011, 06:43 AM.
                          Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

The scissor type tool should work well, but I have no experience with one, I just think the principal is sound. My lathe is a 10" Logan, fairly stout but certainly not a heavy lathe and I can knurl steel with a standard knurling tool like those made by Armstrong, Williams, etc. You mentioned having a tool made in China and it may be the problem, or perhaps the wheels are dull/soft. Something you might try with your current tool is adjusting it so it meets the work at an angle less than 90 degrees, i.e. allowing the edge of the tool closer to the tailstock to apply more pressure than the edge toward the headstock. This slight angle will apply more point pressure and possibly allow you to obtain a good knurl.

Comment

Knurling tool

I have 2 of the Eagle Rock ones, the scissor or plier type, one goes up to 2 inches and one goes up to 6 inches. I use them fairly often and they work great. I will not use the push or bump style - that puts a huge amount of wear on the leadscrew and especially the bronze leadscew nut. Good quality knurls are a must, but good ones needn't be expensive.
                              Kansas City area

Comment

Working...
                              X