Got me a real truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got me a real truck

The old '88 Ranger is having drivetrain problems so I decided to look for something in better shape that can also pull a decent trailer or haul a good camper. Big pickups are standard equipment around here and probably outnumber cars. Finding one that hasn't been beat half to death is a different matter. I came across this one and it is in mint condition. It's a '99 F250 Super Duty with Super Cab, 4x4, 5.4 litre engine, auto, cruise, air, and eight rims included for summer and winter tires. I took it in for a checkup and all it needed was some sway bar bushings which is par for every F series ever made. Everything else is in fine condition. Amazingly, it seems to be getting even better mileage than the 2.9 litre Ranger. It sure is nice to be BIG. It gives a nice feeling of safety. Oh yeah, I paid 6K for it. Book is 12K.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Evan,

Looks like a real nice ride at a great price.

By the way, welcome back.

Any news on the telescope?

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Super nice, Evan.

Now, put an electric drive in it

Comment

Is that picture from today? It was 70* here today in Nebraska!

I cut up some pine wilted trees for hauling to the dump and worked up a sweat..

Nice looking truck!

Comment

Heard there are some deals in some water logged Toyotas coming
          All in all a good deal
          please visit my webpage:
          http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Every 10 years I go in and get a new F250

If I was a $Millionaire I would go in and get an F250 with a GT350 in the back

Comment

What do you want for your old one? You keeping all the duct tape and coat hanger wire or will that go with the truck?
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I am looking for a pickup truck too. I am finding a lot of vehicles 1 and 2 years old with 200,000. miles already and they are asking almost a new price.

So what makes idiots think a high mileage vehicle is worth only $4000 less than a brand new vehicle. Geeeez..... are they brain dead or what!!!

Why doesn't anyone make a simple low cost vehicle with, crank windows, manual seats, rubber floor mats, no radio, manual door locks, none of the expensive high $$$ luxury stuff. I want a simple truck like they made in the 1960s that gets gas mileage like a car but there is no such thing.
                Last edited by gary350; 03-16-2011, 10:37 PM.

Comment

If you're near a Fastenal store they are selling a lot of their full size delivery trucks.

Comment

Evan,

I don't know anything about the 5.4, but the company I work for has two '99 F250 Super Duty diesel 4x4's. They both have survived around 200K miles in the hands of indifferent employees in light to moderate duty. One has a 5-speed, the other has an automatic transmission. We've replaced the clutch on the 5-speed once, and done several brake jobs on both. Otherwise, they have been durable and reliable.

If it weren't for having the turning radius of a school bus, I'd consider getting one for myself.

Comment

Value is what we believe it is. Trucks, tools, toys...theyre all the same. If you need something, its going to be expensive vs if you want something. Unfortunately, most wait til they need something to buy it, then they pay dearly. If you keep a good eye open, not half open like most do, and can wait a month or two youll find more deals than youd believe existed.
                      "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan
                        If you're near a Fastenal store they are selling a lot of their full size delivery trucks.
                        The Fastenal store here has 4 of those large dodge trucks for sale. I ask about the trucks they get 8 mpg according to them. The price is extremely reasonable about 1/2 book value.

Comment

Originally posted by gary350
                          Why doesn't anyone make a simple low cost vehicle with, crank windows, manual seats, rubber floor mats, no radio, manual door locks, none of the expensive high $$$ luxury stuff. I want a simple truck like they made in the 1960s that gets gas mileage like a car but there is no such thing.
                          I've always heard you need to talk to the "fleet sales" guy to get one ordered like this.

Andy
                          235K on my daily driven Jeep YJ

Comment

Gravy: Turning radius of a school bus ? My first thought when I saw Evan's pic was what small wheels. I thought, Ah, they must do that to get a nice tight turn.

They must stuff them with really rigid suspension members, that's all I can conclude.
                            Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Very nice truck and at a great price. I sold my wanna be gmc which was a 2006 1500 and bought an '86 F350 crew cab diesel 4x4 long bed this year. One of the best moves I've made. Not bashing gmc as I like those but the difference between a full one ton and half is tremendous. Not to mention everything except radio is mechanical. So much easier to fix things and 1/10th as much to boot. I went to quarry to get some gravel and he drove around with his huge loader and dumped almost 2 yards in my bed. You should have seen my eyes. OMG. Well it loaded it up but was fine on the 2 miles home. My old truck would have never made it out. Also nice when you find that nice machine that weighs 2000 lbs and putting it in the bed doesn't make it sweat a bit. Easier than pulling a trailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X