Tool Gloat: My Scrapyard Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Gloat: My Scrapyard Rescue

So I went to my local scrapyard to buy about 100# of steel for a trailer project and a new welding bench. Turns out this mill followed me home. My wife was impressed that it managed to get in the truck and strap itself down without help .

As soon as I walked in the yard I saw this mill laying half on it's side partially covered in scrap.The owner seemed like he wanted it gone, and I obliged. In the end I paid a grand total of $150 for 1200# of machine.

I'll have more info and pics once I get it out of my pickup this weekend. What I know so far is it was made in Japan and imported by Enterprise Machine Tools, Inc. of Minneapolis, MN. Model HHM 1/2 and made in May 1964. It is 3-phase and stands about 5' tall. The vertical attachment has an MT2 taper, and the main spindle taper is MT3. The whole machine appears to be manufactured in inches. Overall, the rust is only surface corrosion, the table moves smooth and free, and the ways show little wear.

My plan for the machine is to disassemble the table and knee and clean everything good, clean off the rust and flaking paint, add a VFD, and put it to work. I'm guessing this will compliment my RF-30 and Jet 1024 quite well.

A quick internet search netted nearly nothing, so I'm guessing it is quite rare. Any info would be greatly appreciated as usual. Enjoy the pics.

Last edited by dkhntr04; 03-17-2011, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Very weird mill. I kinda like the 'slim' head without the motor directly attached. The top ram looks weird though, I bet it could be converted to a horzontal mill easily somehow..
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
        Very weird mill. I kinda like the 'slim' head without the motor directly attached. The top ram looks weird though, I bet it could be converted to a horzontal mill easily somehow..
        I is a horizontal mill with a vertical attachment on it. The bearing support is hung on the backside of the machine right now.

Comment

Good for you, I hate seeing old machinery that is or at least was high quality, scrapped.

I'm interested in seeing what is in the back, after the rear cover is removed.

Does it have a quill feed?

Comment

Originally posted by dkhntr04
            A quick internet search netted nearly nothing, so I'm guessing
            it is quite rare. Any info would be greatly appreciated as usual.
            Probably not related, but there is a company of the same name a little
            south of Minneapolis
            ENTERPRISE MACHINE TOOLS INC
            12700 ZENITH AVE,
            BURNSVILLE, MN 55337-6011

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
              Good for you, I hate seeing old machinery that is or at least was high quality, scrapped.

I'm interested in seeing what is in the back, after the rear cover is removed.

Does it have a quill feed?
              Looks like I forgot that pic. Here it is. The mill has variable speed controlled by the large variable diameter pulley in the middle that is adjusted by a handwheel from the outside.

No quill feed unfortunately.

Comment

The mill has variable speed controlled by the large variable diameter
                pulley in the middle that is adjusted by a handwheel from the outside.
                That is a nice and unexpected feature.

Comment

Did you ask about the machine's provenance while at the scrap yard?

If they can't or won't tell you where it came from, I bet that a little local
                  detective work will turn turn up some information about who used to operate
                  it.

There may also be someone in town who can translate the name plate, too.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr
                    Did you ask about the machine's provenance while at the scrap yard?

If they can't or won't tell you where it came from, I bet that a little local
                    detective work will turn turn up some information about who used to operate
                    it.

There may also be someone in town who can translate the name plate, too.

The proprietor said he had no idea of the history of the machine. I hadn't been to that scrapyard in over a year, but from the condition and location of the machine I'd bet it was dropped off right before freeze-up since it was outside with what I would consider minimal rust.

On the translation, I'll either have my Japanese friend from college or the Japanese translator at my wife's work take a look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                      It already is a horizontal mill, hence the overarm on top.

Nice find, especially for the price! Does the motor run?

The problem I've noticed with a lot of horizontal mills is that if you put a vertical head on them you don't have a lot of headroom left. I have a major issue with that on my little mill, it's already weeny, but with the vertical head the headroom becomes very small. This machine looks much better in that regard though. It's nice to have the flexibility to easily do both vertical and horizontal milling. Deserved gloat

Comment

So I went to my local scrapyard to buy about 100# of steel for a trailer project and a new welding bench. Turns out this mill followed me home. My wife was impressed that it managed to get in the truck and strap itself down without help .
                        That is going to make a small welding table, and probably not much else left for trailer parts either
                        You better go back for the right steel and try to save the mill for milling
                        Steve

Comment

Nice find, especially for the price! Does the motor run?
                          I'm not sure, I don't have 3-phase service. I figured for the price I got it for, if it needed a motor on it I could manage that. I'll have to get a vfd for it once I get it all cleaned up. The belt was a recent replacement and the cord is still on the machine, so I hold out hope that it will run.

Comment

Nice mill,it's stout enough to make the other two machines hang they're heads in shame.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Are you planning to get an arbor and use this as a horizontal? You didn't happen to have a scratch around and see if the arbor support was tossed out with it too? If not, could be worth a trip back to the pile it was sitting in to see if anything else like that was thrown out with the machine. It wouldn't be difficult to make one, but if it's just laying there in the dirt it could save you the trouble.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X