No announcement yet.

how to thread a taper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rohat, I've been machining for 60+ years and you totally lost me. How can you cut a thread if you lock the carrage down? Also how do you make the compound move the correct threads per inch. Peter, old fart turner from North Wales moved to the colonies
    The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Like this:

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The chaser still has to move one pitch per revolution. Or are those anular grooves? Peter

Comment

That is a threading die. You set it to the correct angle and then proceed as if single point threading. The back end starts cutting first. By the time you have advanced the depth so that the leading tooth is cutting to full depth the full taper is developed. It is no different in operation than single point threading.

Comment

I have done it that way myself but rohat said he locked the carrage, that is what I was questioning. Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
              Like this:

That will work but only if the length of the taper is equal to the width of the die insert.
              Anything longer will leave you with a parallel trailing end which will be at the smaller diameter.

Still probably the quickest way to do short threads.

Most taper threads are usually 1.5 x D in length so this teels you what the width of the die insert needs to be, if it's possible to get one that length.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Anything longer will leave you with a parallel trailing end which will be at the smaller diameter
                Just start over again on the smaller diameter making sure the threads are timed.

Comment

Yes that would work, well worth remembering.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I have scanned and posted the Taper and Threading chapter from the text we use at school. It can be found at:

http://neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books/shaper_book_page.htm

Scroll down to the link Tapers and Threading.

Setup for taper threading is on the last page of the file.
                    Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
                    http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

Why don't you use a connector thats what they are made for, no threading, no screwing, just heat the ends in some hot water and push together, done.

Comment

Yes, the O/P asked for a threaded taper as shown in Evans pikky, not to be confused with a tapered thread. A threaded taper must be cut with the thread at right angles to the taper, a tapered thread is first cut on a parallel bar and the taper then cut. In real terms, a threaded taper is a "Bastard" pitched thread, unless cut with a taper turning attachment.

Regards Ian.
                        Last edited by Circlip; 03-21-2011, 09:03 AM.
                        You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X