how to thread a taper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to thread a taper

I have a connector I made on the lathe. It has a hex head in the middle and two shafts either side if the hex head. A double sided bolt. One left thread, one right thead. This connects the ends of plastic pipe together. The plastic pipe is a circle with 150cm diameter. The "bolt" is solid as in no hole for any liquid to flow. It works but it would be better if I turned a taper and threaded the taper. That would make it much easier to get started in the plastic pipe.

So, how does one make threads on a taper? The picture is what I have made already but I would like to make one with each threaded shaft tapered.

Last edited by Black Forest; 03-19-2011, 02:19 PM.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

A picture of what I have made without the taper. I would like the threaded shafts to have a taper.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

If You are doing this in the lathe ,ya have to set up Your taper attachment....if the lathe has one.

Steve

Comment

Might you be able to do it without a taper attachment if you turn between centers with the tailstock offset a touch?

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I dont even know weather the threads will be with the taper or with the strait part..that question could do with being answered .

youd have to have a tapperd nut as well

ps anyone having trouble with this site ..missing half the day ..and very slow now

all the best.markj
          Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 03-19-2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

only time I have ever cut taper threads was with a pipe threader... die head with tapered cutters....

Comment

Cutting pipe threads is explained in South Bend's "How to Run a Lathe" book. I've got two copies and I can't find either of them, but my rather doubtful memory tells me you would set the tailstock over towards you to achieve the proper pipe taper (3/4" per foot, I think) and set your 60 degree threading tool perpendicular to the main body of the work, not to the part you are threading.

I imagine Machinery's Handbook would confirm (or refute) the thread alignment to the work.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I have no idea what you call it, but the thread used on drilling pipe/drills is a very sharp taper, and is threaded. I know of a shop that makes them, but I've never had the opportunity to watch him do it. I would think a taper attachment would be needed for something this aggressive.

Comment

Hi,

I don't think you need to make tapered threads since you're not trying to make a tight seal for air or liquid. Just ease the ends of your connector. Kind of like a plug tap. And give a bit of bevel to the pipe also.

dalee
                  If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

When I used to use my plain lathe - no carriage movement, the top slide does it all - turning a tapered thread was no different from tunring a straight thread, except the top slide was at the taper angle.

All threads had to be fed in straight using the cross slide. Well, for heavy beasts I would play tricks with the gears to move the cutter along a bit, but that's by the way.

So, set up just as you did for the original thread, but with the top slide at the taper angle. Lock the carriage, and go for it.

I should think that for precision work you have to know whether you want to measure the pitch along the taper or along the axis, although by definition you can't use a long tapered thread.
                    Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

The difference between a tapered thread and a taper pipe thread is in the preparation of the workpiece and the position of the cutting tool. The tailstock set over method or a taper attachment can be used in either case.

When cutting a taper pipe thread, the tool is positioned at 90* to the workpiece and the thread tapers from full depth to almost nothing along its length, the workpiece remains full diameter.

A tapered thread is cut on a workpiece that is first machined to the desired taper. The tool is positioned at 90* to the taper and the thread is full profile for its entire length.
                      Jim H.

Comment

one way for pipe threads ...
                        I do not know if they make left hand pipe threads

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=36866

but the pipes you are joining usually have their threads one the outside not the inside in which case you would be wanting a female coupler ...
                        maybe I need to go back and reread the question
                        --
                        Tom C
                        ... nice weather eh?

Comment

Tapered pipe threading

I did a lot of this type of threading. All the way up to 6" dia. It is done with a taper attachment on an engine lathe. The taper is as some one else said is 3/4" per foot. We used 11 1/2 thread per inch for most of the larger sizes we did. I don't recall what the 6" required. It was 20 yrs . ago. You can do it by shifting the tailstock over and holding part between centers when you do. You single tool thread it and use the compound set at 29 1/2 degrees. Advancing the compound a few thousands at at time and backing off at the end of thread with the crosslide and return in the crosslide to "0" to start again. that way you only advance on the compound. Watch Twobalcain on the You Tube site for threading example. You actually only cut on one side of the thread form doing it this way. Good luck . I wish I could show you on you engine lathe. Also use the thread dial on engine lathe. Simple to do.
                          Boot

Comment

Fishtail

Yes you have to cut taper first and then use your fishtail to set the threading tool 90° to the taper. And yes the thread will diminish as you cut to the end of thread.
                            Boot

Comment

Like JC said the tool is set 90* to the pipe's axis.If using the tailstock offset method,set the compund to 28-1/2*IIRC and singlepoint as any other thread.Edited to clear brainfart

Everything you need to know about thread specs and profiles.

http://mdmetric.com/tech/threadtech.pdf
                              Last edited by wierdscience; 03-19-2011, 10:06 PM.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X