No announcement yet.

Looking for a good way to renew scale markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could be really different and mount a Digital Read Out on your tailstock. It really works sweet! Check out my pictures at the following link:

http://www.mrrace.com/Mini_Lathe_DROs/

George
    My Web Site
    www.mrrace.com
    Builder & Test Pilot N73EX

Comment

This sounds like a good excuse to work on that spring loaded engraving tool you allways had on your project list, Then mark it in the mill, And take it to engravers for the numbering (if its even needed. Just a good |....|....| scale is all you really need)
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Dro

Originally posted by George_Race
        You could be really different and mount a Digital Read Out on your tailstock. It really works sweet! Check out my pictures at the following link:

http://www.mrrace.com/Mini_Lathe_DROs/

George
        That's a well done project George. Thanks for the pictures. Welcome to the Forum!
        Kansas City area

Comment

George, the external digital display was suggested but for a whole bunch of reasons revitalising the ram as I did had the most appeal to me. Some people like them but I wanted to keep the lines of the lathe as clean as I could. I'm also mean enough that I don't like buying batteries for these things all the time - you should hear my thoughts when the light in my welding helmet starts flashing. Still, horses for courses and your adaptation looks neat.

Gary, since taking that picture I've used a laquer-stick to blacken the numbers. Because the etch is a nice deep one, the contrast was good enough to pick out without it but the black does help. It will be interesting to see if it stays there with the oil that is present in the tailstock.

Black_Moons, the engraving may be closer than you think! The next mill is a universal type that can drive a dividing head to create helical gears. However, I've been told that if you hand crank them you can drive back through the table and use them as a dividing engine for precise scale marking. (The scale is fixed to the table - the dividing head is used purely to provide a gearing down for fine divisions) I have a high speed head so with a carbide engraving bit I may be able to do linear scales soon myself. Something else to try

Michael

Comment

Working...
          X