Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two new shows on Discovery that may be of interest

Hi guys,

I have recently seen two new series on the Discovery channel that I find very interesting, I hope you will too.

The first is "Sons of Guns" about a custom weapons manufacturer in a small shop. It is in the same vein as American Chopper but without all the drama. This one has some machining content. It is not "family entertainment".

The second is "Flying Wild Alaska". This show is about a small fixed base operation, airline and bush flying operation in Alaska. I would term this one "family oriented entertainment" No machining content that I have seen yet, but some cool equipment and flying if you like that sort of stuff (I do).

Enjoy,

Tim

Flying wild showed its last episode on Friday ..

they showed someone being rescued ..

but somehow there was already a camera there when the helecopter landed

all the best.markj

Comment

Hey Mark,

I guess I should have said "new to me". Do you know how many episodes there were? I have only seen two of them, this last one and the one before. Hope they bring it back next season

Tim

Comment

10 episodes of flying wild .

all the best.markj

Comment

good to know, if people support the show, it won't get cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
            10 episodes of flying wild .

all the best.markj
            Thanks Mark, I'll go back and see if I can find them on the internet

Tim

Comment

Flying Wild is GREAT!!! Makes me wonder if that should have been my career choice. Hope they do another season, it seems like the good shows don't make it. Since the kids can watch it with the family that is usually the kiss of death.....

Comment

I watch Sons of Guns, but like almost all of "reality" TV, its not very realistic. They make big claims about creating new technology, but yet none of it is. I cant watch Flying Wild too often, she grew up in AK and it makes her homesick, but they seem like mostly amateurs compared to the other bush pilots I know. The only two shows on TV that I do believe are American Pickers and American Loggers (not Ax Men). The prices and people seem realistic, and there isnt too much drama.
                "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

American Pickers sounds interesting .

32 episodes to find

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer
                    I watch Sons of Guns, but like almost all of "reality" TV, its not very realistic. They make big claims about creating new technology, but yet none of it is.
                    Ugh, Sons of Guns is awful. The first couple of shows were interesting -- the shotgun with an integral suppressor, the Ak with same. But then they botched the M-2 kit build, and things just went downhill from there.

As far as being another scripted Discovery Channel faux reality show, when they rebuilt the fake Thompson submachine gun (with a quad rail??!), someone on the AR-15 forums pointed out that were at least two different Thompsons in the shoot: the long-barreled version the "customer" came in with was completely different than the short barreled Thomson the tattooed gunsmith was shown working on:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I watch all those discovery and history channel shows. I like the flying wild Alaska. I also like the Sons of Guns but find that they seem to half ass allot of stuff.
                      Andy

Comment

Don't waste your time on those.

The Best use of your time watching TV is BBC America's "Top Gear".

Simply put: The best show on television.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                          Ugh, Sons of Guns is awful. The first couple of shows were interesting -- the shotgun with an integral suppressor, the Ak with same. But then they botched the M-2 kit build, and things just went downhill from there.

The shotgun suppressor was dumb. They did it with slugs and talked about how they were the first ever to suppress a shot gun and it was supposed to be impossible. The impossible part is suppressing shot not a slug.

Then they slapped together that terrorist rocket thingy and put a $5K price tag on it!

Then like you said the M-2 mess.

Now I see they hired some guy claiming he is a weldor who can't weld.

That huge clumsy "master key" they built! HAHAHA
                          Andy

Comment

here's some stuff you chappies may be interested in

"The secret life of the national grid" 3 episodes

From the team behind 'The Secret Life of the Motorway' and 'The Secret Life of the Airport' comes another unexpected homage to an engineering masterpiece of modern Britain: the national electricity grid. After all, imagine a world where the only form of artificial light was dirty, smelly and potentially dangerous, and absolutely nothing worked at the flick of a switch. The series reveals how the grid has both liberated and enthralled us, and in the process created our contemporary world. Along the way we meet the men who’ve built and run it; people who can remember life without it; and those who’ve pinned their hopes on controlling it. It’s a journey down the wires from the awe and opposition that greeted the first pylons in 1928 and the novelty of electric light, to the long lost glamour of the British nuclear industry and Margaret Thatcher’s determination to keep power flowing during the miners’ strike. All via an explosion of electrical gadgets and gizmos that promised, according to an early electricity marketing film, to turn ‘drudgery to delight,’ and that have inspired our electric dreams ever since.

Titanic the mission 5 episodes

This series explores how Titanic was built, as a team of engineers builds iconic sections of the world's most famous ship, using the methods of 100 years ago.

Glasgow underground 1992...or any stuff on how the london underground was built

very slow to paste stuff in here as well ..it took about 60 secs to paste that long passage

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                              Now I see they hired some guy claiming he is a weldor who can't weld.
                              That was pretty funny -- they ask the guy if he can weld, and he says "yes." So the head guy tells him to TIG weld some holes in a bracket of some sort. The next thing you know, he's got a MIG gun, and he's sparking crap all over the bracket.
                              The boss comes by, looks at the mess he's making, and says "hey, that's not too bad."

Uh... I think they need to coordinate with the script writers better

"The secret life of the national grid" 3 episodes
                              That does sound good -- what channel? I saw a BBC production: "How to build a nuclear submarine" that was excellent.
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X