Where to lift a mill from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to lift a mill from?

My rf45 copy is going to be here in an hour. I just rented a engine hoist, where is the safest place to attach the chain where there is no risk of hurting the machine?

From under the machine! With some straps around the collumn to your other straps/lifting point to keep it from tiping.

Do NOT lift it by the head, if RF45's are anything like IH mills, theres only a SINGLE 1/4" or so SHCS that holds the Z leadscrew from being lifted outta the mill along with the head. Meaning you'r lifting the entire mill by one 1/4" screw and if that screw snaps you'll drop it a few feet, way more then enough to smash things, or mame anyone under it. (NEVER EVER GET UNDER IT!)
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

With any luck there will be a lifting lug.

My KX3 which is slightly smaller had one.

My 3/4 scale Bridgy I lifted with a sling around the head where it balanced.

Take is slow. And remember the earth sucks!
      Good luck.
      Pics please
      Dave
      Last edited by DFMiller; 03-21-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

DON'T lift by the table.

Also, don't use a chain. Get a nylon strap.

Lift around the ram if you can. Crank the ram forward for balance. Put the table as low as possible. You might have to turn the head sideways to get it out of the way. If your mill is like a Bridgeport, you might not be able to get the height necessary to lift by running the belt around the Ram.

Obviously, you won't have something like this, but it will give you some ideas.

Forgot to say, don't roll it on the cast wheels. They can break. Put some solid bars under it and roll it on them.
        Last edited by davidwdyer; 03-21-2011, 05:34 PM.
        VitŮŽria, Brazil

Comment

the guy is moving one of these:

Not a bridgeport, there is no 'ram' to lift it by.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I say listen to Black Moons.
            He has one of the clones from Machine Tools Warehouse.
            I don't, but I was at MTW and saw how the owner moved stuff around his shop.

He put rods through the holes in the base and lifted them that way without any straps to prevent tipping. Yikes!

Add the anti-tipping strap and you'll be fine.

Chains bad, straps good.
            Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Oh btw, Put half a newspaper where the corners of the machine meet the strap. This gives it a nice beveled corner so it won't cut the strap, And you won't chip off the bondo on your mill castings.
              (And trust me.. they use lots of bondo!)

Comment

After looking at the picture posted by BM that mill is not really setup well for lifting. Too bad the head is not well attached. In any equipment moving situation you must consider the equipment you have on hand, the machine you have to move and make careful well thought out decisions.

With some common sense you will find a safe any easy way to move it. As BM says don't get yourself in a spot where gravity will cause you pain or injury.

And pics are required ;-)

Dave

Comment

For my IH, I removed the head and table, And there was 4 giant bolts in the base "used for manufacturing", likey moving the main casting around at the factory.. So I used em to lift the casting+collumn, with a light backup strap around the collumn, and tons of newspaper beween all the hooks and buckles and painted/dovetail surfaces.

Made the lift point so that the collumn was trying to fall back, keeping the backup strap tight. The lift point itself was a foot below the top of the collumn.

Note: remove the gib before removing the table, or it WILL bind as you try and get it off.. with only a few inchs to go. Most frustrating. And potential to damage things as its fully unsupported.

To move the table on/off, What I did was put 2 T nuts into the T slots and used them to lift the table (center T slot only)
                  By spreading the T nuts out, you lift the table a few mm, By bringing them closer, you drop the table. And as you crank the table in (leadscrew still attached... Its easyer if you remove it!), you just nudge the T nuts over in the slot to keep it at the correct height.

I built a dolly that goes on the table to crank the head down onto, undid the Z bolts, then used the table Y axis to pull the head off its collar. Then either 2 people can lift the 2x4 'handles' on the dolly (Dolly doubles as a metal stock rack now), or a lift can be straped to the dolly+head.

To reattach the head I did the exact same in reverse, Put it on the table, aligned the Z collar with the bolts, X axis with the table X axis, And slid it on with the tables Y movement.

Note, the IH is 1100lbs, with at least 200 of that in the head and another 200 of that in the table, So it might be a little easyer for you to take apart an RF45 without so much assistance. Or just lift it whole.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips, ran a nylon strap under the bottom and wrapped a rope around the column and the strap. Worked great, just need to wire the electrical and plumb the coolant system. Its weird how much smaller it looks in pictures.

At the same time I threw my lathe on my recently finished new stand. Just need to take out the old bench and put it in place.

And while I had the camera out I snapped some shots of my pride and joy.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. Glad your move went well.
                      Time to make some chips.
                      Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X