Bridgeport question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridgeport question

In a recent post Rich posted a picture of his Bridgeport.

Not a good picture in relation to what i want to ask but here is mine.

Note how the head fits between the two.

Mine has bolts from the top going into a cruciform, Rich's presumably has Tee studs in a circular slot hanging down into cast pockets.

All the ones on Tony's site are like mine with long bolts and i have only seen the long bolt model so is Rich's machine a common design ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I believe yours is more common John..

Comment

think he has the round ram base on it .

all the best.markj

Comment

Ignore the ENCO logo and does this look like Richs, or what? Those Chinese can do a clone pretty good. Tho there are some differences, a big one is the ENCO has box ways - its about 3 yrs old.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

His is the old style base for round ram. John yours is like all the others. Bridgeport changed the base when they got away from the round ram.
          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Mine is like John's. Most that I've seen are also. Used to be that I thought a Bridgeport was beyond my means so I never paid much attention. Now that I have one, I have began to notice the differences.
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Thanks, that explains it all.
              One last question / query.

Some while ago, 2 - 3 years ? there was a post on here I think about a machine for sale on CL ? which turned out to be a much modified Bridgy.
              The part I can remember was it had a riser block fitted that had a horizontal spindle fitted to the riser.
              I saved the pic, very small and not too clear but have lost it.
              Anyone got a copy? I think that one had these pockets for the head but not sure on that one.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson

Some while ago, 2 - 3 years ? there was a post on here I think about a machine for sale on CL ? which turned out to be a much modified Bridgy.
                The part I can remember was it had a riser block fitted that had a horizontal spindle fitted to the riser.
                Anyone got a copy? I think that one had these pockets for the head but not sure on that one.
                Was it a Bridgeport or a Wells Index? A Wells Index 860 comes to mind,never been close to one,but they look handy-

http://www.lislesurplus.com/W/Wells-.../picture-1.jpg
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

No it was a Bridgy and it was all home made by the guy selling it, a retired toolmaker.
                  The horizontal spindle was powered by a vertical head on it's side.

Comment

I once saw a Bridgeport with a horizontal spindle in a riser block. I did not look at it closely but it appeared to be a well built part from an iron casting so I thought it was a commercially made item. I do not recall what it had for a drive.
                    Don Young

Comment

I remember that one and think I have the picture saved. I will go through them latter and see if I can find it for you.

Dave

Comment

No it was a Bridgy and it was all home made by the guy selling it, a retired toolmaker.
                        The horizontal spindle was powered by a vertical head on it's side.
                        That could be handy at times... Be like a mini horizontal borer...
                        Precision takes time.

Comment

Found it:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...tal+bridgeport

Comment

Working...
                          X