jb weld repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jb weld repair

i have a briggs&stratton engine with an aluminum cylinder that is scratched due to a broken ring could jb weld be used for this or is a rebore needed thanks

Originally posted by jack3140
    i have a briggs&stratton engine with an aluminum cylinder that is scratched due to a broken ring could jb weld be used for this or is a rebore needed thanks

rebor or replace the inner steel sleeve iam pretty sure there is an incert there .. jb weld is not suitable for that sort of a repair it does an even craper job trying to seal a block up that had a con rod wiped out of it..

you could also try if you want to hst 2000 or sutotec 78 i think it is and then re surface it you might get it to work that way as well,,,

Comment

Why not?

Sure, sand the scratches down so you finger nail doesn't catch, fill the cracks with the filler material, let dry and sand smooth.
      "the ocean is the ultimate solution"

Comment

Originally posted by airsmith282
        rebor or replace the inner steel sleeve iam pretty sure there is an incert there
        Actually I think many B&S engines don't have a sleeve. Instead they are supposed to be made of a silicon rich alloy which makes it possible to use naked aluminum as cylinders.

Comment

A guy on this forum claims it will work...http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=47200.
          Of course that was in a cast iron bore, I don't know if it would work in an aluminum one.
          Last edited by Hogridnfool; 03-23-2011, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the stuff, but I think you're wasting your time trying to repair the cylinder wall with JB Weld. The heat will soften it, and the rings will scrape it away in short order. The hot oily environment won't help matters.
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

I think it or some other high temperature formulation would work for awhile, but I agree, it will most likely get trashed and the repair won't have been worth it. You'll end up having to bore anyway. Might as well go that route now instead of later. My opinion anyway.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

well it sure looks like i better rebore this thing too bad it is practically new i thought it would,nt work but no harm in asking thank you all for your input

Comment

Where is the scratch? Full length of bore.......worse in places than others?
                  Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

... lol JB weld on a motor wall? thats the crazyest thing I have ever heard.

And I thought putting JB weld into the transfer ports of a 2 stroke was bad enough (To correct a bad porting job... Apparently it will hold there, But it won't hold in the exhaust ports)

Sometimes you can buy new cylinders/piston kits... depending on the engine.

Reboring it would work, if its not a lined cylinder. Make sure to hone it in to get the proper cross hatch pattren to reseat the new rings.

Btw, if the scratch isent too major, you could just lightly hone and put a new piston in.. Might burn a little oil, and lose a little power, but if its not a racing motor it should'nt be a huge deal.
                    Last edited by Black_Moons; 03-23-2011, 07:03 PM.
                    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Aluminum bore BS engine = disposable.

You could bore it and sleeve it,but you will probably need to make up some valve seat inserts too,pretty easy to do,galvanized water pipe is three or four steps up in material quality
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Seriously, what do you have to loose? Go for it. Let us know how long it took to blow smoke.

Comment

... lol JB weld on a motor wall? thats the crazyest thing I have ever heard.
                          It has been done successfully many times; but on water cooled engines. Air-cooled engines run hotter, so a JB Weld repair is unlikely to be successful.

Orrin
                          So many projects. So little time.

Comment

lol JB weld on a motor wall? thats the crazyest thing I have ever heard.

thank you for your nice remark you have made my day i have never had to use jb weld before and i have heard many comments on this site lauding it so in my stupidity i thought i would ask for opinions and by job i got em thank you !!!!!!!!!!
                            Last edited by jack3140; 03-23-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Orrin
                              It has been done successfully many times; but on water cooled engines. Air-cooled engines run hotter, so a JB Weld repair is unlikely to be successful.

Orrin
                              I am the one who posted about successful JB Weld repair in an auto engine cylinder. It would seem less likely to me to be successful in this case but it would be an interesting experiment. My repair was entirely in the cooler lower end of the cylinder and was basically four long narrow grooves cut by a loose piston pin. The engine was actually running fine before the repair as I only discovered the damage when removing the head for valve replacements due to a jumped timing chain.

It is necessary to have the surface rough and very clean for JB Weld to adhere well.
                              Don Young

Comment

Working...
                              X