Parting Off Large Diameter stock - 6"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parting Off Large Diameter stock - 6"

I have a piece of 6" diameter brass round that I need to part off about 0.5" to make a smokebox front on a locomotive. The piece that I have is about 1.25" and will fit in my chuck.

What is the best way to slice thru it?

Bill

I would use a bandsaw!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Personally for that size I'd find someone with a bandsaw. A parting tool sticking out 76mm/ 3" is not going to be a pretty thing.
      You may know this stuff already but if you really want to part it on your lathe I'd suggest plunging in for say 3/4" backing out, moving along say 20 to 40 thou, plunging in again. Alternate like that so that the tool does not bind up in the slot. Use the deepest parting blade you can find (stiffer). If you have a good slow power cross feed think about using that rather than feeding my hand. Make sure your parting blade is sharp and set on centre (never above) or slightly below. The tip of the blade will need to be square other wise it may tend to pull the cut to one side. Check the alignment of the parting tool to the lathe axis. It must be perpendicular. Easiest way to do that is make it parallel to the front surface of a chuck or face plate.

Michael

Comment

It is either bandsaw or just reduce the whole thing to chips if you really want to have that part made from that exact piece.
        Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Hate to suggest something wastefull, but if it was me I'd set it up in the chuck, tap it back into good firm contact with the 3 chuck jaws, and face it down to the required thickness.
          Brian Rupnow

Comment

Am I gonna get shot for suggesting turning the lathe on reverse and holding a hacksaw to it?

- n00b
            ----
            Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

something that big id band saw it for sure

Comment

Originally posted by madwilliamflint
                Am I gonna get shot for suggesting turning the lathe on reverse and holding a hacksaw to it?

- n00b
                I'll admit I did that a time or two before I got my bandsaw. However, I would never recommend it to anyone.

If you don't have a bandsaw, try running it in the lathe and put a 1" deep groove in it using your parting tool. Then shut the machine off and hack saw the rest by hand. It will take you a little while, but it can be done. Just watch the saw and keep it in the groove so you cut straight. Make sure you have a coarse blade, too.

Comment

A vertical bandsaw is also my recommendation. Lay out a line all away around the piece and hold it with a C clamp, bar clamp, or other means to keep it from spinning on you.

To me 3" of parting blade sticking out is just asking for trouble.

BTW, if you're going to use the hacksaw with the lathe running backwards "trick", just make sure you're wearing an unrestrained tie, gloves, you have on long shirt sleeves that are rolled down and unbuttoned, and your shirt tail is hanging out.

(I do hope you know I'm being very sarcastic).

Comment

Originally posted by madwilliamflint

- n00b
                    hack saws dont cut very well that way i fear ps i would,nt shoot you for that lol

Comment

Originally posted by jack3140
                      hack saws dont cut very well that way i fear ps i would,nt shoot you for that lol
                      right you are, it just passes more material over al already full tooth.

This is quick work for a horizontal bandsaw. Given the width, you can really 'dig a trench' so you'd be parting in one cut.....you are a better machinist than i if you part off 6" material in one cut
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I do not usually retell others stories but----

The late Bob Bastow ( teenut) ran a machine shop in southern Ontario. He had a very good apprentice. One day he came in from an errand to find no one in sight, the manual lathe happily parting off a piece of aluminium about 6" dia. The apprentice was confident enough that he had gone to the bathroom leaving the job running. Even Bob was a little surprised! Regards David Powell.

Comment

Parting

I would order a 6in square of 1/2 in plate from McMaster Carr and save the other chunk for something more worthy. Bob Fisher.

Comment

One of my first parting off efforts was on a piece of steel about 6" dia. ...I didn't know any better at the time. Eventually I got it done, by using the hacksaw through the last inch or so, but it was not a happy experience.

I guess that's why I hate parting off to this day.
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Geez, a 6inch diameter bar of brass, gotta be worth a few bucks to purchase that by the foot. Any price costs on that per ft. or inch????

Comment

Working...
                              X