ON TOPIC RANT: Wholesale Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ON TOPIC RANT: Wholesale Tools

On March 17 I ordered a 9X12X3 black granite surface plate (weighs 36 lbs) from the Wholesale Tools website. The price was $19.80 plus $9.62 for budget ground shipping plus tax.

Last night I get an email from them saying that the new shipping quote is $30.84 due to the 36 lb weight. What the heck? Aside from the shipping cost increase, why did it take 7 days for them to let me know. According to their website, they had the plate in stock. Seems to me that they should have shipped it out the next day or the day after. It should have been on my doorstep by now.

This the second time I have tried to order from Wholesale Tools, and the second time they have royally screwed up the order. I will not be trying them again.

I sincerely hope that if any of you guys order from them you have better luck that I.

Rant Off

Tim

Tell them -
    1- you dont want it at that price
    2- they must refund any payment in full
    3- you will not use them again

john
    John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Tell them unless they fulfill the order at the original agreed upon price they are in breach of contract.

Comment

Orders exceeding 30 lbs. shipped Budget will be charged an additional UPS surcharge.
        That is why it pays to read the ENTIRE shipping policy before placing an order. Sorry, but I can't fault them when it is all spelled out right on the web page. Yes - it is "fine print", but it is there.

Comment

Id cancel the order for making me wait 7 days just to tell me theres a problem. Buy one from enco or something insted. Idealy somewhere you can pick it up to be honest. or as part of a very large order.

This is supposed to be a super precise plate that precision of your future work will relie on. Maybe buying the cheapest one you can find is not the best deal after all.

Signed: guy who buys a lot of very cheap tools.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Seems to me I got mine from Enco with one of their free shipping offers. I think I had to order some other items to make the minimum amount to qualify for the free shipping, but I needed them anyway.
            Paul A.

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Agreed it is spelled out that there will be an additional charge over 30lbs but how could that have not come up when the order was placed?
              Not that any of this ever has logic but should be easy to set up a sort of automatic flagging based on weight.

Its this 7 days later that is troublesome. Even allow for the weekend, that's 5 business days...why hasn't it shipped?

Comment

I agree, that's BS to add a shipping charge after they invoiced the sale.

I've had bad experiences with Wholesale Tool as well. I ordered several involute cutters on their webpage, 7 of 9 of them were later marked permanently out of stock, and they ended up shipping me a nearly empty UPS box with two little involute cutters in it, with a whopping UPS charge.

The involute cutters I ordered are still listed on Wholesale Tools' web page, even though they told me it was an inventory closeout (they're Chinese cutters).
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

JTS is like that too. I get the impression that the low-dollar import houses just upload/buy a generic catalog that lists almost everything. It isn't a true representation of what they have, just what they can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur.Marks
                    JTS is like that too. I get the impression that the low-dollar import houses just upload/buy a generic catalog that lists almost everything. It isn't a true representation of what they have, just what they can get.
                    You are 100% correct on that, on eBay its called drop shipping. That is how they all operate on eBay, good rule of thumb is if they DO NOT have a valid phone number where an actual live human voice speaks to you, run quickly in the other direction to avoid the dry corn cob.
                    Last edited by squirrel; 03-25-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

If you ever visited a wttool store, you might have second thoughts about buying from them. The one in Mass is a dirty, low ceiling warehouse with tables loaded with rusty, dirty tools. No machinery set up for inspection. Worse then any HF store I have been in.

A big dissapointment if you expected to see something more like Grizzly's showroom.

I have heard from others that the other wttool store are similar.

Comment

Originally posted by tmarks11
                        If you ever visited a wttool store, you might have second thoughts about buying from them. The one in Mass is a dirty, low ceiling warehouse with tables loaded with rusty, dirty tools. No machinery set up for inspection. Worse then any HF store I have been in.

I have heard from others that the other wttool store are similar.
                        Very true -- the Houston store fits that description exactly. That's where I bought my first mill/drill -- ah, the good old days
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

The home store in Michigan is a pretty pitiful sight also -- dusty bins that havent had an item in them in years, pricing is crazy, either nothing shown or way off, cluttered, etc, etc. But I have to say its kinda fun going there, I always find a good handful of things to bring home. I am leery of ordering from them, but do so on occasion and have never had a problem, tho I'm sure not gonna switch all my ordering over!

Lazlo, I also got my first real mill there as a "scratch & dent" item off the floor and got a quite good price too.

On the surface plate, I would think ENCO still includes the surface plates in their free ship - up to 70# - Thats how I got mine.
                          If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                            Very true -- the Houston store fits that description exactly. That's where I bought my first mill/drill -- ah, the good old days
                            Yabbut-

If you're willing to dig through the dust and the junk, there are a few real bargains. Or there were a couple of summers ago. I may have cleaned them out...

Comment

I just went through the same freight price jump as TMC31. The order was finished, receipt e-mailed to me, shipping at 13.31. Next day get phone call wanting to change freight to 31.00. (note) I did not read the fine print shipping instructions. I would not have felt so bad but I am staring at an Enco Offer for free shipping for order over 50$. But sadly Enco does not sell the item I wanted. And I wanted the item,,,So JIM
                              jim

Comment

Working...
                              X