$100 to spend on loctite...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $100 to spend on loctite...

Any suggestions on loctite products that would be handy around the shop?
    Explore a wide range of LOCTITE® products designed to streamline operations and improve reliability, or find the perfect service partner to refine your ways of working.

Im already set on thread locker and retaining compounds.

They have a definite shelf life so I think it is best to buy when needed.

Phil

Originally posted by S&S_ShovelHead
    Any suggestions on loctite products that would be handy around the shop?
    Explore a wide range of LOCTITE® products designed to streamline operations and improve reliability, or find the perfect service partner to refine your ways of working.

Im already set on thread locker and retaining compounds.

Comment

True that they have a shelf life. However, I have some Activator 707 and anaerobic adhesive 384 from 1991 that still seems to work INCREDIBLY well. Of course I wouldn't use it for anything critical, but it finally fixed the knob from falling off my Starrett vise handle.

It also worked perfect to glue the wooden handle of my favorite large screwdriver back together after a coworker took it from my toolbox and used it as a chisel. (I now lock my box, but that's a story for a different day.)

BTW, I could be their marketing genius. They use an alpha-numeric code to define the production date, then you have to look up the product data to know that I should have thrown those products away in early 1993. If I were working there as a product engineer, you can bet each bottle would have a "Discard by xx/xx/xxxx" date in big font right on it.
      Last edited by PixMan; 03-26-2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

It's my understanding and experience that if product is still liquid it will work fine for general use. The expiration date is for controlled environments. Don't touch the bottle tip to anything will help to prevent partial cure in the bottle.

I have a bunch of different samples from over the years but really only use two types. I use threadlocker, medium or high strength and a cylindrical retaining fit type. I've found the penetrating grade threadlocker works great for retaining fit applications.

Permatex brand is available at the auto parts store for small $$. You must have a great need for adhesives if you want to spend $100.

Comment

I would recomend one of these Loctite kits-

Everything needed for a variety of tasks around the shop and less than $100.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Locktite red and Locktite blue
            3M has something that resembles liquid nylon that is very handy, especial for Harleys.
            Every fastener H-D puts on their machines has it on them.

The stuff we use at work comes from Locktite and 3M in bulk and must be mixed, applied and then cured with heat. it isn't the same stuff that you can get at the auto supply store.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
              I would recomend one of these Loctite kits-

Everything needed for a variety of tasks around the shop and less than $100.
              Thats a good idea, Ill probally just get one of their kits.

The $100 was a free credit, its not comming out of my pockets.

Comment

Locktite red and Locktite blue cover most of what I do. One product they make seals porosities in welds. I had a small leak in a welded diesel tank. That the weld sealer finally solved the problem.

I have products that are many years past their stated shelf life and they still work. If I were doing it again I would buy the smaller sizes. The kit sounds like an excellent idea.
                Byron Boucher
                Burnet, TX

Comment

Have you seen the new threadlocker tape from Loctite? I've been dying to try it out. I'm thinking it would last longer in the toolbox than the liquid.

Comment

Loctite substitute

While I Harbor Freight today I noticed they have two brands of "loctite like" products at a very low price for comparatively large quantities. They advertise only one brand on their web site. If memory serves they all were under $3 a bottle. I saw 4 different kinds, a 271 substitute and 3 thread lockers, red, blue and purple, advertised in decreasing strengths. I have no experience with these products but they may work as well as the original product for a fraction of the cost. At those prices even if they sat on the shelf until they expired the loss wouldn't be too much to bear. For a $12 investment they may be worth a try.

Comment

Vibra-Tite

I use a product called Vibra-Tite, a foul smelling thread paint that dries kind of rubbery. After it is set up install the bolts (or whatever) and they can be tightened, loosened, adjusted, multiple times until it's worn off, it lasts a while though.

And of course I use the usual Loctite, blue and red, as well as Loctite 266, a red locktite for high temperature applications.

Comment

My three favorite loctite products. I use it from the small containers (and refill when needed) so the garage grunge doesn't contaminate the family sized bottles. JR

Comment

Permatex brand is available at the auto parts store for small $$.
                          It was about $22 for a small bottle - 1.2 fluid ounces - when I looked last week.

Comment

I keep most adhesives and similar products in a refrigerator to extend shelf life. Some need to warm to room temperature before use.
                            "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

I would also suggest a tube of Loctite 380 Black Max...a black colored rubbery cyanoacrylate that I've used a lot of in gunsmithing. Helps to hold sight ramps in place to reinforce the screw attachment...flexible enough that vibration doesn't break it down.

David
                              David Kaiser
                              “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                              ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                              X