X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SouthBend 9A lathe- complete package

For those who like complete solutions:
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...0/#post1541954

P.S. Moderators, please feel free to delete this message if it's not appropriate.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 03-27-2011, 04:31 AM.

3200$ ?? In this economy?

Comment

If you check current prices for the genuine SB toolpost grinders, taper attachments, collet closers, follow and steady rests for the lathe, the total won't sound high at all. Especially, when a well cared for lathe with a multitude of other accessories and tools are thrown in. It's a well known fact that tooling and accessories cost much more than machines. This particular machine comes with almost every accessory and tool that was ever available plus more. The buyer won't need to buy anything additional, and he won't need to do any fine tuning, repairs or even cleaning: everything comes in truly excellent condition both visually and functionally. This is not one of those units with "just a surface rust" that "needs loving care". It's a real McCoy. If the set is parted and sold on eBay, it'll bring more than that without selling the lathe itself. But it won't be a right thing to do.
      Last edited by MichaelP; 03-27-2011, 04:45 AM.

Comment

The lathe looks like it as never rusty. But,it certainly has had enough se to have the paint completely eliminated from the tailstock,and from other areas. I'd like to make a close examination of the carriage's ways before purchasing. I have one of those old Southbend toolpost grinders,and they aren't the greatest grinder ever made. Nice other bunch of accessories,though.

Comment

Keep on seeing these south bends with this frosting everywhere ...mine is barely visable ..but there isnt much wear on it ..

i think there must be a lot of false frosting going on between different ownerships of these lathes

as that one looks like its had a lot of use ..yet still shows the frosting / scpaping marks.

im not saying you did it ..but its probably getting on for 50 years old or more ..

must have been rescraped in its lifetime

all the best.markj
          Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 03-27-2011, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Well Michale I'm glad you feel it an appropriate price and package, but as of late NOTHING in the machine tool categories seems to be selling on Eboner. It has gotten so bad I finally stopped listing items. When new condition CAT 40 tool holders can't fetch $15 people just feel so uncertain about the future economy they can't justify spending money on any thing other the food and shelter.

My advice and if at all possible is to hunker down for the long run.

Sure you'll see folks listing items for outrageous prices trying to drive up the median prices. But if you click on "Watch this Item" and track which ones sell you'll see a very different outcome then what we would have expected just a few short months ago.

But in the plus column I bought 8ea indexable endmills for $25 (Ingersoll / Lovejoy) and have seen quiet a few Seco facemills going for under $10

Comment

No offense or disrespect intended, but I think your price is off by about a factor of 3. If that machine has the hardened bedways and is lightly used its worth about $1500. With the signs of wear on the paint and unhardened ways (why SB used those so long Ill never know), Id put it around $1000 with tooling. 2-3 years ago was a different story as everything was inflated, today there are a gazillion deals to be had on better machines. Keep in mind, for $3k youre getting into the realm of decent 10EE's.
              "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

The guy that got mine got a really good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer
                  No offense or disrespect intended, but I think your price is off by about a factor of 3. If that machine has the hardened bedways and is lightly used its worth about $1500. With the signs of wear on the paint and unhardened ways (why SB used those so long Ill never know), Id put it around $1000 with tooling. 2-3 years ago was a different story as everything was inflated, today there are a gazillion deals to be had on better machines. Keep in mind, for $3k youre getting into the realm of decent 10EE's.
                  Hi,

Depends on where you are. A lesser condition machine with only a worn 3-jaw, no too post, and not even a piece of HHS would fetch $2000. If you could even find one for sale.

dalee
                  If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

It's hard to say what anything is worth, beyond, "Whatever someone will pay for it."

So let's say you're in the market for a small lathe.

What's the alternative to that lathe?

There is no American-made alternative AFAIK. So an 'Olde American Iron' person will value that lathe higher.

A 'Chicom lathes have improved' person will not even consider the SB over a new Grizzly 12" with some accessories at $2,500.

And now, what type of person will be posting regularly at PM? Seems to me the seller has a decent fully tooled lathe that would be a pleasure to use. It's just a matter of price, and he's advertising it to the perfect market. /shrug

Comment

I paid $1,800 last year for the exact set up but it also included an Enco 6 position turret tailstock. Dumont tool post grinder, 5 c collets with lever closer, 2 spd electric motor,...and virtually no wear.
                      I think you are a little high on the price, if you can get it great,.....

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP
                        taper attachments, collet closers, follow and steady rests for the lathe,
                        Did I not see a couple of images, machine does not have a taper attachment installed. I would be interested in the steady and follow rests if they are original SB and are telescoping.

As far as the price goes, it does seem slightly over valued but at that price it will require a hands on inspection. A few years ago I bid over $10,000 for one on eBay that was new and did not get it!! Was the seller a typical eBay'r that asked his brother inlaw to jack up the bid and then while being greedy ran me off the money........... who knows.
                        Last edited by squirrel; 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM.

Comment

My biggest problem right now is space--I can barely fit anything bigger than my 7x in the corner of the basement I'm allowed (and I'm lucky to have that in the middle of Boston).

Nonetheless around here there seem to be plenty of guys with money to burn in this hobby, though the supply of tools is also pretty good so prices tend to stay reasonable, if not as low as MI/OH. For a guy with more money than time, getting the kitchen sink in one deal is nice. You may have to wait longer to sell since most potential buyers may not want all of that, the ideal buyer is really someone new to the hobby or someone like me looking to change up from smaller or larger machinery.

Comment

Like a number of people say,, "Hey-,It,s only money, and money is nothing more than a paper coupon one exchanges for goods you want.
                            There are a number of folks who will pay a premium for what they want because they only want that Item.

(Yeah i know,,,,, ya gotta have it to toss around first.)

Comment

It looks like it is missing the little lube dipper that goes in the little reservoir on the tail stock. You know where the white lead or other lubricant goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X