SouthBend 9A lathe- complete package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Years ago in CT, a used machine tool paradise, I embarked on a quest to find a used Bridgeport. There was one listed for 100$, so I drove to the other side of the state to look at it. I had on a nice polo shirt and driving my dads new Honda Pilot. The guy that was selling the mill lived in a trailer park and had no hands. He just had two hooks. I could probably guess why...

Anyhow, I get there, he notices the clothing and the car and thinks right away I have money. First thing he tells me that the price is actually 600$, not 100$.
    I play with the Table feed and notice that theres about 1" of backlash and he said, "Thats just the nature of the machine". I already was not going to buy the damn thing based on the price jack.

So what better way to play with these scam artist fools? Lead them on, make them think you want to buy everything....
    So I continued, showing large amounts of enthusiasm for his load of absolute garbage. He had a South Bend lathe, I believe a 9" jr. Was different from my workshop 9". He wanted way too much for it, along with the tool post grinder that wasn't worth 5$ We continued to dig through his shed of junk, I was smiling the entire time, he was getting really excited.

Then I turned around, smiled, and said, "I'll give you a call to let you know."
    Hahahaha
    He immediately called up his friend and was constantly cursing on the phone. What a stupid fool...

Leave a comment:

• Rich Carlstedt
    replied
    Every one wants a million dollars when they sell their drill press and then wish to only pay
    3 dollars for a 3 inch 6 axis boring mill fully tooled and still in the crate!.
    I think I have heard this argument before ?
    How about
    "I have a mill that only a little old lady drove on Sundays" ..haha

Like all things, "Needs" and "Wants" are two different animals
    The thing we really detest, is being snookered and I admit, it has happened to me, but that is another story.

If the lathe is "cherry" and someone wants a Cherry SB, then all bets are off, and I think you all agree.
    Its having been "taken to the cleaners" in our past that creates the hesitation to admit whether the deal is fair or not.
    We all know those "Hidden Gems" can turn to "Rock Salt Crystals" real fast.

Good deals occur, but rarely You have to wait- sometimes a loooooong time.
    In 1972, my good buddy found a Bridgeport at an auction for antiques ( Owner died and had the mill in the back of the store ???)
    No one bid on it since they were collectors and not machinists, except for him.
    He got mighty nervious as the bid which started at 1,000 kept dropping by a hundred until he bit.. He may have gotten it for $ 100, but who knows?
    That started me on my search, so I looked for a BP at $300 ( yeah, right !), and never found one.
    Then in 1977 I stumbled accidently on a "collateral loan gone bad" given on a BP which sat in storage for 20 years.
    I grabbed it for $600. took 2 seconds for that decision.
    But wouldn't you know it, the VERY next day, when I told another friend about my great find, he said..
    " Geee, I didn't know you wantd a BP....I saw one sold for 500 last month"...and it was fully tooled ....yeah

Moral of the Story--- no matter how good you do, your friends will remind you they did better...never fails

Determine if it is a need or a want
    that and that alone determines if it is a good deal in my opinion

The old adage and it hasn't changed, is that you will match the price of any lathe with tooling costs. so a 2 K import when tooled, will be 4 K

Rich
    Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 03-28-2011, 05:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• justanengineer
    replied
    Originally posted by Rex
    So I guess the nice 9A I bought yesterday for $100 was a pretty good deal
    Id say that was an alright deal . I know someone who bought a near perfect 10k with a Gerstner box full of measuring tools for $75. Granted, that was in the mid 90's, before a lot of the more recent inflation of hobby prices. Im still trying to figure out why so many think that the name is worth so much, for me its all about function.

Leave a comment:

• Bmyers
    replied
    Originally posted by Rex
    you know the rules "without pics, it never happened"

Leave a comment:

• Rex
    replied
    [Gloat]

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    Originally posted by Iraiam
    It looks like it is missing the little lube dipper that goes in the little reservoir on the tail stock. You know where the white lead or other lubricant goes.
    The lathe is not missing anything. Every little thing is in place and works as designed.

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    IF I KNEW the ways were in mint condition,with the attachments the lathe has,the price would be better than paying a lot more for a Grizzly Southbend clone(which isn't as nicely designed as a real SB was.

Leave a comment:

• Iraiam
    replied
    It looks like it is missing the little lube dipper that goes in the little reservoir on the tail stock. You know where the white lead or other lubricant goes.

Leave a comment:

• sasquatch
    replied
    Like a number of people say,, "Hey-,It,s only money, and money is nothing more than a paper coupon one exchanges for goods you want.
    There are a number of folks who will pay a premium for what they want because they only want that Item.

(Yeah i know,,,,, ya gotta have it to toss around first.)

Leave a comment:

• sansbury
    replied
    My biggest problem right now is space--I can barely fit anything bigger than my 7x in the corner of the basement I'm allowed (and I'm lucky to have that in the middle of Boston).

Nonetheless around here there seem to be plenty of guys with money to burn in this hobby, though the supply of tools is also pretty good so prices tend to stay reasonable, if not as low as MI/OH. For a guy with more money than time, getting the kitchen sink in one deal is nice. You may have to wait longer to sell since most potential buyers may not want all of that, the ideal buyer is really someone new to the hobby or someone like me looking to change up from smaller or larger machinery.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    Originally posted by MichaelP
    taper attachments, collet closers, follow and steady rests for the lathe,
    Did I not see a couple of images, machine does not have a taper attachment installed. I would be interested in the steady and follow rests if they are original SB and are telescoping.

As far as the price goes, it does seem slightly over valued but at that price it will require a hands on inspection. A few years ago I bid over $10,000 for one on eBay that was new and did not get it!! Was the seller a typical eBay'r that asked his brother inlaw to jack up the bid and then while being greedy ran me off the money........... who knows.
    Last edited by squirrel; 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Abner
    replied
    I paid $1,800 last year for the exact set up but it also included an Enco 6 position turret tailstock. Dumont tool post grinder, 5 c collets with lever closer, 2 spd electric motor,...and virtually no wear.
    I think you are a little high on the price, if you can get it great,.....

Leave a comment:

• Tony Ennis
    replied
    It's hard to say what anything is worth, beyond, "Whatever someone will pay for it."

So let's say you're in the market for a small lathe.

What's the alternative to that lathe?

There is no American-made alternative AFAIK. So an 'Olde American Iron' person will value that lathe higher.

A 'Chicom lathes have improved' person will not even consider the SB over a new Grizzly 12" with some accessories at $2,500.

And now, what type of person will be posting regularly at PM? Seems to me the seller has a decent fully tooled lathe that would be a pleasure to use. It's just a matter of price, and he's advertising it to the perfect market. /shrug

Leave a comment:

• dalee100
    replied
    Originally posted by justanengineer
    No offense or disrespect intended, but I think your price is off by about a factor of 3. If that machine has the hardened bedways and is lightly used its worth about $1500. With the signs of wear on the paint and unhardened ways (why SB used those so long Ill never know), Id put it around $1000 with tooling. 2-3 years ago was a different story as everything was inflated, today there are a gazillion deals to be had on better machines. Keep in mind, for $3k youre getting into the realm of decent 10EE's.
    Hi,

Depends on where you are. A lesser condition machine with only a worn 3-jaw, no too post, and not even a piece of HHS would fetch $2000. If you could even find one for sale.

dalee

Leave a comment:

• Rustybolt
    replied
    The guy that got mine got a really good deal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X