OT night light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT night light

So I bought these neat night lights with an ionizer built in, well if I wake in the middle of the night you'd think that a light had been left on. Well not being able to leave any thing alone I popped the front off and there are 5 LEDs in there so I grabbed my magic marker colored the ends, still to bright, then put 2 layers of black tape on the LEDs tucked it around them, DAMN still to bright, now what, am afraid to cut one of the legs of the LEDs afraid that it may make the ionizer stop working. It even has a capacitor to keep the light lit for about 5 minutes after you unplug the unit from the wall. HELP

I'm guessing its probably ok to cut a couple of the leds out, but it would be a lot more helpful if you could post a few pics of the insides. Particularly one of the component side of the circuit board, and one of the solder side.

Comment

Paint it with a brush.
      Andy

Comment

Aluminum duct tape?
        Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Sleep in another room.

Man has survived for at least 400,000 yrs without "neat night lights with an ionizer built in", I'm sure you can manage to cling on to life for a few more yrs with out one,
          chuck it in the bin

john
          John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Don't know if the leds are wired in series or in parallel, but if they are in series you can cut one out and replace it with a resistor. The higher the value, the lower the brightness of the remaining leds.

The el cheapo flashlights, etc usually have the leds in parallel, so if that's the case this won't work for you. You'd have to find the circuit trace that feeds the leds, then cut it and solder a resistor across the cut.

As a night light, I find it odd that it would stay on after it's unplugged. That suggests that it has a battery, or maybe it's a super capacitor. In turn, that suggests a lower voltage and leds in parallel, not series.

In any event it's possible to dim them- you just have to figure out which way works.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

You can't have too many lights in the workshop so there job doneAlistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

black paint

Originally posted by vpt
                Paint it with a brush.
                1) Go to nail polish aisle, buy "black nail polish" for goth girls. Comes in handy little bottle with brush attached to lid. Cheap. Easy to replace. Easy to remove with acetone or other nail polish remover. Also, you might meet some nice goth girls, this being either good or bad depending on your current living arrangements and intentions...

2) Talk to ex army guy about uniform blackener. Same stuff as the goth girls nail polish, except it dries flat black and its a bit more watery instead of glossy. We used it for the somewhat more manly pursuit of blackening brass parts of field uniform (such as worn down subdued rank insignia, rivets on boots...)

I've used both successfully.

Comment

Or play-doh.
                  Andy

Comment

Working...
                  X