• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone built a power barrow?

was thinking of building one, anyone done it? battery power seems like a go
    any comments greatfully appreciated
    mark

Is a power barrow a powered wheelbarrow? If so then I have sort of built one.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

"Seymour" on "Last of the Summeer Wine" built one and used it to haul "Barry" to the church for his wedding. It exploded about the time the happy couple said "I do"! (Snicker)

Comment

I remember an ancient edition of Popular Mechanics from about 40 years ago, which featured a "Power Wheel". This was basically a 16" o.d. pneumatic wheelbarrow tire, rim, shaft and bearings, with a lightweight engine (like a chainsaw or weedeater engine) mounted on an angle iron framework setting directly above the tire. The engine drove a small sprocket mounted on a centrifugal clutch, and a larger sprocket was welded to the side of the wheel rim. It showed pictures of this unit mounted on a go-cart, a wheelbarrow, and a few other yard implements. I was impressed by the article, and still remember it quite well.----Brian
        Brian Rupnow

Comment

Some one is presently making and selling these units in the usa i see the ads quite often in magazines but cannot remember the name of the company it was 2 letters like DR or something.

Comment

was thinking of building one, anyone done it?

Not personally, but I have seen them at construction sites.
            These are commercial units but it may give you some ideas.
            I'm sure there are others but these are the only ones I've seen, unfortunately not close enough to give you any details.

Here's their link:

https://www.powerbarrowcompany.com/products/

Also some videos on Youtube, perhaps more of what you had in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrevoR2fRjA
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories‚Äč

Comment

Evan did, but he runs it backwards with an extra wheel and he sits on it. He calls it a tricycle.
              Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                ... I see the ads quite often in magazines but cannot remember the name
                of the company it was 2 letters like DR or something.
                Clearly, they need to revise their approach so as to make a longer lasting
                impression (the way Subaru has done with that sumo wrestler campaign)

Comment

In the construction industy they are called youngbuggies.I have seen all diferent brands but they are all called the same. Maybe Young was the original one,or the patent holder.
                  I have seen them with gas,diesel,and electric power.

Comment

Been thinking lately about building a low bed 'garden cart'. This would be electric, and have a tailgate which folds down and becomes a ramp. You could rake stuff straight into it, carry some tools, and sit on a stool basically to drive it around. It would be very basic- more or less a platform low to the ground, a little wider than a wheelchair, but not by much. Kind of like an airport baggage transporter, but much smaller. Could be used to haul brooms, etc, around a parking lot, and be able to carry the sweepings to the bin.

I have a 36 volt motor apparently from a forklift- don't know the power rating, but it has bolt type terminals for the power cables, so it must be capable of handling several tens of amps at least. I'm guessing 3-5 horse. I'd want to be able to drive it down the road in the bicycle lane- might have to put pedals on it to avoid trouble with 'the man'

Maybe I could make a deal with the city to sweep the bicycle lanes clear of debris- that's one of the main drawbacks to travelling in those lanes.

A kilowatt generator would be a good thing to have on it- just enough to get the batteries back if you run them down, and to operate a roller broom or something.
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

yes thats the type of thing i'm thinking of, time to sharpen pencil and work out how i guess,
                      an equivalent powered micro dump truck in the uk retails aroun £2000 plus!
                      and i'm fed up of pushing barrowloads of bricks up the incline of my back yard, and ive got another delivery soon, 11000 of them! [rebuilding all my outside walls of my house and garden walls]
                      thanks for the input and any thoughts please add, greatefully received
                      regards
                      mark

Comment

Get them to deliver to the high spot in your yard.

Alternatively, Use your truck or car to move them in the back yard. Can't carry many per load in a car, but it sure is easy!

Or find someone with an ATV + trailer.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I suppose your right, the ATV sounds like an idea though
                          mark

Comment

How far do you have to move the bricks? Is it a straight line from where they unload the pallets to where you need to move them with the wheel barrow?
                            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Here's another site with many different styles. http://www.haulzall.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X