Couple of Recent Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Recent Projects

Thought I’d post a couple of interesting components we just made in our toolroom (I didn’t do them I hasten to add).
    These are part of a gas sensor head for an EU project for measuring soil contamination. http://www.miccs.eu/pagina2.html

They were tricky little buggers to make, and needed some turning (obviously), CNC milling, and EDM. Parts are made from hardened EN19/4140 and 316 Stainless.
    A bit of creative fixturing was needed, as what you can’t really see are some of the awkward little internal rads and blends that the designer added into these.
    The 6 little angled cut-outs on the screw-in cap are also radiused in 2 directions.

It’s perhaps not so obvious from the pictures, but that curved face on the larger part is also replicated inside – at the base of the internal thread – and is also carried over onto the top of the small circular part with the cruciform shape in it.

Peter

This other one has been keeping me busy for about 18 months.
    I designed this for Plant Integrity, and it launched at an exhibition in the USA about 2 weeks ago. http://www.plantintegrity.com/teletest/index.jsp

It’s been a combination of product design, machining prototypes including a miniature Air Compressor (some may remember this from a post on the HMEM site about 18 months or so ago), and making the mould tools in our toolroom for injection moulding the parts.

Here’s one of my final rendered images of the design before we made it.

Some photographs of the actual finished product:

And a little cutaway line drawing of the assembly.
    There are a total of 703 components in there, and 33 separate sub-assemblies, and plug-in rechargeable battery packs, as well as the miniature compressor.
    Apart from the electronics (which I didn’t do) evertthing else is a bespoke designed component.

Peter

Comment

Very nice 3d model and rendering Pete!
      Geez it looks very close to the real photo's.
      The part/components look great. What machine or methods were used to grind the top surface. A cnc surface grinder?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_H
        Very nice 3d model and rendering Pete!
        Geez it looks very close to the real photo's.
        The part/components look great. What machine or methods were used to grind the top surface. A cnc surface grinder?

Steve

Not quite that exotic.
        The final curve profile on the top was sparked (EDM'd) on at a low amp setting, then the very fine spark finish was stoned off by hand, which was not a problem as the part was hard.
        The guy that did the work (all of it) is a proper good old fashioned toolmaker.

Comment

nice work.........

Comment

Peter,
            Nicely done.
            SW I assume?
            Dave

Comment

Outstanding work Peter, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
              X