Texturing Polypropylene Mold Cavity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texturing Polypropylene Mold Cavity

Picture a 6"x6"x1" Polypropylene plate with an annular cavity machined approx 4" in diameter, 3/4" wide and 3/4" deep. A flexible polymer is cast in the cavity, and I'm looking to give it some texture. To achieve this, I'm trying to figure out how to texture the surfaces of the cavity uniformly. Ideas so far are media blasting.
    Any other ideas or info would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,

Tadd

If it was a steel plate I'd suggest a hammered texture using a small ball pein hammer like copper smiths use.

Would something like a needle de-scaler have any effect on Polypropylene?

e.g. http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...&product=12754

Cheers
    Bryan

Comment

If you put much texture in there it will be very difficult to get the part out unless the mold has a lot of draft. Also, anything that cuts the surface will raise hairs and will make it even harder to work with. Normally, a polyethelene mold would be molded around a positive master complete with texture.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

chemical etch? I know it's used for texturing molds, but that's about as far as my knowledge gos on that subject.

Comment

I'm not sure if the chemical etch will work with plastic. Needle scaler is an interesting idea, I'll have to give that a shot.
          The plastic is actually TPX (polymethylpentene) which is used for its great release properties in this case.
          Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you have a metal cavity for a poly part. My bad.

Comment

Sand Blast a metal plate , to get the texture you need, and heat it up to about 240 degrees in an oven . Spray with PAM or release agent and hold it against the Poly . You may need to experiment to find the time/ temperature relationship
              Rich

Comment

Working...
              X