Help...High Torque small diameter elec motor needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help...High Torque small diameter elec motor needed

I frequently mount my Dremel tool in a bracket I welded up to the column on my milling machine to turn an abrasize cut off wheel to cut hardened steel housings. The Dremel tools I've used, even the electronically controlled $100 version, just don't have the power I need.

Any suggestion on a motor I might use that has the speed and power but very small diameter?

[QUOTE=rbertalotto]I frequently mount my Dremel tool in a bracket I welded up to the column on my milling machine to turn an abrasize cut off wheel to cut hardened steel housings. The Dremel tools I've used, even the electronically controlled $100 version, just don't have the power I need.

Hi,
    I have used a flexible drive connected to a portable electric drill to provide a high torque drive for a toolpost drill. I think you could do something similar for your application. More details are here:
    http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/toolpost-drill.html
    Mike

Comment

Roto-zip tool. I think they have a motor of about 4 amps and turn about 20,000 rpm. They are actually designed for 1/8" shank tools.
      Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Roto-zip tool.
        Now THAT's The Answer!

Thanks!

Comment

Router. comes in 7~15amp versions, Usally comes with a 1/4" and sometimes a 1/2" collet.. Should be able to find a 1/8" collet.. Or maybe make one?
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Maybe an Electric Die grinder.............???

A die grinder is essential equipment for automotive grinding. This electric die grinder has a longer-than-typical shaft that lets you reach into tight, cramped work spaces. 1/4” collet accepts most die grinder accessories.

Lightweight and maneuverable
            All ball-bearing construction for durability
            Includes spare brushes

120 volts, 60 Hz, 4.3 amps, single phase
            Maximum speed: 25,000 RPM
            Wheel diameter: 1-1/2'' maximum
            Overall length : 14-1/4''
            Shipping Weight: 5.06 lbs.

Comment

What about an air cutoff tool or die grinder?

If you were really in a hurry, you could put a 9" angle grinder in there. Just pull the handles off and bolt in a yoke to hold everything square.

Comment

I've tried air cut-off tools. It just doesn't have the precision of the Dremel. And it uses tons of air which I don't have.

I've used the actual mill spindle, but I can't get the speed high enough to make a nice clean cut with the fiber cutoff wheels.

I wonder how smooth these electric die grinders are? For $27.99 I could find out..........(Harbor Freight)

Comment

I think Tormach sells similar adapters for their mill for a particular high speed tool with more power (and hopefully less runout) than a Dremel, check www.tormach.com and you can probably figure out which unit that is.

Check this page, it has several different high speed tools they offer as accessories:

http://www.tormach.com/Product_PCNC_acc_spindle.html

Paul T.
                  www.power-t.com
                  Last edited by PaulT; 03-31-2011, 06:37 PM.

Comment

What about a Proxxon IB/E? Same idea as the Dremel, around $120, German-made industrial quality.

Comment

I found the HF die grinders vibrated an awful lot, like they weren't balanced very well. It'll probably take a slightly better model.

Just sayin...

Comment

Get a Chain Saw sharpening motor.
                        High Speed, over 25,000 Rpm.
                        At least 4 times the torque of a Dremel
                        Balanced
                        Good cooling for extended use
                        Ball Bearings
                        Collet based.
                        Here is one from Sears, that I used for an emergency when grinding the jaws on a chuck.
                        That is an Aloris AXA tool Post for size comparison
                        Rich

Comment

If you want a brushless solution for a lot less than you think, go here. Plenty of RPM AND Torque. My friend used one as a spindle motor on a miniature cnc, he actually wrote the review.
                          http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hobbyma...icopters-20083

Comment

And to think I thought I had an original idea!

Proxxon High Speed Spindle Kit on Mill

Kress High Speed Spindle Kit on Mill

Comment

All great ideas! Thanks!

I have a chain saw sharpener that runs off 12V DC. I'm going to see if I can appreciate how much torque it has. When the cut off wheels are new, and 1.5" in diameter, they take a surprising amount of power to cut. Once they wear down to about 1", then they get much easier.

That Helicopter motor seems nice, but I believe it also runs off DC. Just another thing to get involved with. A nice plug and play die grinder would be the answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X