Elbert Rutan retires, age 67

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elbert Rutan retires, age 67

Who else has five hunks of carbonfibre hanging in the National Air and Space Museum? Just 'happened' to be at the Vandenberg and Mojave landings of his record setting aircraft--the Voyager and Space Ship I. SuperShows--

--G

Farewell to one of the greats...but personally I dont see him as being retired too long.
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Flying lawnmower

Yeah.. I had to have a set of them flying lawnmower plans.. (lawnmower powered airplane) Quickie?? been quite a few years back. Vari-eze & Longeize was the bigger swept wing job,

(notching the hacksaw blade for flap controls was a bit much). Flying beer coolers..

Great application engineer thou.
      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

So young! Anybody know the cause of death?

I remember sitting at a funeral service where the pastor remarked in his homily about the departed, suddenly taken, at similar age: "... why this fellow? Surely there are others that could go meet God.... I could even suggest a few."

OOPS! Gasp! Reread the thread - RETIRED - not passed away. Uh, never mind. The reports of his demise are premature. Live on, Bert.
        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Here is a speech given by Mr. Rutan at the TED conference a few years ago.

Unfortunately things have only worsened.

http://www.ted.com/talks/burt_rutan_..._of_space.html

rollin'

Comment

Working...
          X