Fitting a multifix to my lathe ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a multifix to my lathe ?

I have just about completed fitting my new multifix tool holder to my lathe.
    The multifix has two holes in its base, which I assume is for fitting a dowl pin or similar. What should I do ? Fit a dowl pin or a bolt ? What have others done.
    Thanks very much.

Photo show the two hole.

Mine is only held in place wit the center bolt.

Comment

It's for fitting a pair of dowel pins to prevent the post from slipping under high load. If you pin it then it will be more difficult to position the post at a precise angle when needed. Best is to wait and see if you have slippage issues befor you pin it.

Quote form the Original Multi-Suisse operating instructions:

"Fitting of dowelpins is only necessary if the tool-holders has to stand heavy tangential stresses."

Phil

Comment

Yup what Philbur cited. You only need the pins if you plan to use the Multifix with the Type "J" Bush holder and a Morse taper sleeve for power feed drilling.

I have a full width compound T-slot nut like yours drilled for the pins but I've never used it for drilling. I don't know where I put the Metric pins I made for it. The post never slips even when I hog with a big boring bar but then I tighten the tool post nut pretty good.

Comment

TR
          See you have one of your ball oiling fixtures stuck down ..I have one like that ..no amount of prodding will get it back right

is it a case of renewing it ..or is there another way out .

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
            TR
            See you have one of your ball oiling fixtures stuck down ..I have one like that ..no amount of prodding will get it back right

is it a case of renewing it ..or is there another way out .

all the best.markj
            Well done for noticing. Not sure what I will do.

Comment

Working...
            X