DIY Jet engine by 17 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Jet engine by 17 year old

This is my sons science fair project. He built a jet turbine engine using an automotive turbocharger. When he started his welding skills were less than optimal but by the time he wrapped it up (and had to build some items twice or more!) his welds looked fairly good. I financed and helped obtain the parts for him and he had to plan and build it as well as compete in the fair. He just wrapped up the state fair and did well. Anyway here is some of his play time where he is injecting aviation smoke oil into the jet exhaust to make a bit of smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOeQMVDiSMY

BTW - The chugging noise is more a function of the video camera used and the compression of the video.

He tells me he wants to build an afterburner but I'm more in favor of selling the thing to get some money back! He learned a lot in the process and it improved his chances for getting into some schools so all in all a good thing.

Seriously, why would anyone want to buy it? If I am going to buy one I'll get an old APU turbine that is actually has useful output.

Comment

That's all you have to say? Brilliant.

I think it looks like a great project. Well done.

Comment

Good job, that very cool!
        Smoke worked well too

Comment

Great project
          "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

i would love to see a build series. go for the afterburner !

Comment

It sure does look nice. I bet he had fun building that. How much thrust does it produce? Is it running on gasoline?

When I was that age I would set in school and day dream about working on my project when I get home. Thats why I barely passed in all the classes I did not like, english, history, government, social studies, etc. and made good grades in Science, Physics, Math, Chemistry.

I have thought about building one of those turbines myself for a long time but I don't have any good plans or information about them.

Keep experementing, stay creative, have FUN, be safe.
              Last edited by gary350; 04-07-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

You should be very proud -- fantastic! And the fact that you say his welds improved a lot means he actually built it, and not Dad

Love the grin in the first couple of seconds.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by jnissen
                  Anyway here is some of his play time where he is injecting aviation smoke oil into the jet exhaust to make a bit of smoke.

I would keep it around for mosquito abatement. I think it looks great.

ME

Comment

That very small jet plane in one of the James Bond films has only a 250# thrust engine. You know,the one he flew through the hanger.

Comment

Very impressive indeed!
                      Tel

Comment

Awesome engine, you should be very proud!!

Reminds me of the trucks that used to roll thru the base housing area on Okinawa in the late 50's and early 60's. I was kid of 6. The trucks must have had those little jets on the back to spread the mosquito spray. They smoked and sounded just like that

Tim

Comment

So what can you do with it? Good job on getting it to work, and the control panel looks good too!
                          Make Version 2, with axial combustion chamber so you can actually put it in a model jet.

Comment

I know what these projects are like, I think i end up doing all the work and the kids get the glory!, trouble is when they really have to deliver it bites them on the arse as it were, it looks like it was an interesting project to say the least, my uncle, now deceased but moved to Canada was a fitter/grinder/toolmaker/teaboy for Frank Whittle, as a young man he got serious dermatitis from the less than savory cooling oil in the machine shop they had, it covered him from knee to chest including the family jewels!, apparently they used cod liver oil, i dont know if thats true or not.
                            Seeing as youve built it why not stick the ubiquitous afterburner on it, it'll be fun if nothing else.
                            Nickel alloys weld reasonably well, good tig practice [weld pool was a bit like porridge last time i had a go so it dosent run away with you like copper!]
                            Go for it, you only live once [more than once if your VERY lucky in my case]
                            regards
                            mark

Comment

My two cents is same as some of the others. It is simply a great device with much potential educational value, for both you and anyone else involved with it. It doesn't really HAVE to do anything but run and make kick arse noise! But I might go for the afterburner and continued refinements, modifications, or enhancements. Put wheels and radio controlled steering on it- get it to move (put a brake on it first ). inject it for smoke and turn it into a bug killer. Make it a backyard centerpiece for the neighborhood barbecue. I know my friends would have a ball watching the thing wind up and belch fire and smoke.

These are just off the top of my head. Some are probably not feasible, but I think a project like this can be bigger than just money or making it "do" something. The time spent with your son and/or friends is priceless.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X