Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anybody OUT there?

The active ip address is 69.223.24.100

Put this in your hosts file and you will be able to get here in the future.

69.223.24.100 bbs.homeshopmachinist.net
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Dang if the DNS didn't break again. Looks like all the servers are down.

Edit: Here's a great tool for those times when you think maybe the government has pulled the Internet's big red switch:

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.c...pmachinist.net

Here's another: http://name.space.xs2.net/cgi-bin/ns...&submit=search
    Last edited by dp; 04-10-2011, 01:46 PM.

Comment

yup, took your advice and put this

in the hosts file

for windows ..for future

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

thanks ..not that there is any new stuff to read

dont seem to be any adverts here either ..wonder iof its anything to do with them ?

all the best.markj
      Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 04-11-2011, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Village Press is running their own DNS servers. They are down completely and the entire Village Press online presence has disappeared for almost 4 days now. It isn't just this BBS or the ad servers, it is all of the Village Press Internet content. VP is a fairly large company although since it is privately held it isn't possible to obtain exact numbers. It is a vertically integrated company that likes to do everything in house. They produce somewhere in the neighbourhood of 40 different publications, some of them regular magazines and others are industry marketing publications tailored to specific market segments for clients that produce particular products. VP isn't just about machining and the HSM. They publish magazines about subjects as diverse as gourmet dining to sporting dogs.

This problem is caused by the DNS servers not working. DNS stands for Domain Name System. It is the equivalent of a phone book that provides computers with a translation of the domain name to the actual Internet "phone number" that must be "dialled" by your computer to reach the correct destination. When that information is not available then the only way to reach the VP websites is to know the number in advance. That number is the IP address (Internet Protocol address) for the VP web servers.

What VP is missing is an off site DNS backup system that doesn't rely on their equipment to provide that address. There are companies such as Zone Edit that specialize in providing such services. I used Zone Edit for a decade to provide DNS service for my servers at my business and never had an issue. DNS servers come in pairs for this very reason. Each online server system has a primary DNS address and a secondary. By assigning the secondary to a different off site location it will take over if the primary isn't working.

Comment

Heah I is!!
          Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Sounds like the DNS is just been brought back online. Now the DNS information has to propagate around the internet to all the ISPs so that it can be fed to your computer when you need to translate the address for this BBS to an IP address. That can take a while, up to 24 hours for some locations.

Comment

Please quell my paranoia. What's the chances of all previous posts being lost....pffft, gone?

ps: I got here using dp's host file edit posted on PM too. Thanks dp! I had no idea how to do that previously. I thought it was all magic.
              Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Please quell my paranoia. What's the chances of all previous posts being lost....pffft, gone?
                Dunno. Depends on the VP IT Dept and their backup policies. Studies have shown that a business that suffers a catastrophic data loss has a 50/50 chance of being out of business within a year. Backups should be made daily and a copy should be kept in secure offsite data storage.

Even for my puny little operation I ran my servers in pairs with all data mirrored on the backup server, especially my e-mail service. It mirrored all changes every 5 minutes. The backup server pinged the primary server every few seconds and if it didn't answer it took over all web services. I kept online backups at a secondary web hosting account.

Comment

I'm blaming congress.

Comment

Thanks for the info Evan.

The search function works as good as ever. I just pulled up some old posts so things must be OK. Apparently mis-spent paranoia on my part.
                    Milton

Comment

What ever it was, I'm glad it's fixed, I missed you guys.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                      Oregon Coast

Comment

DNS fix

Thanks to PM for posting the fix. Connection speed is very slow - hope it is fully fixed soon.

Comment

It's alive it' alive ..... A entire weekend without my hsm fix ... It sucked
                          If you are using violence and it does not work, You are not using enough or it is upside down.
                          You can always just EDM it...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan

The active ip address is 69.223.24.100

Put this in your hosts file and you will be able to get here in the future.

oh my, finally, i was so worried that it was part of the debt reduction / budget deal................... whew ! ! ! ! !

Comment

Good info Evan. Where is my hosts file located on my computer?
                              John Burchett
                              in Byng OK

Comment

Working...
                              X