My Hydraulic Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Hydraulic Press

A few weeks ago i asked about using a hydraulic jack up side down.Well in searching for answers which I got .I came up with a better idea. I found a tilt cylinder off a fork lift at the scrap yard for $10.00 which i used instead . Along with a variable pressure hand pump I had stored away. !500,2.200 are 3000 psi.So here it is .

Hope you enjoy. I did not have any use for one ,but always wanted to build one. $10.00 for cylinder $12.00 for spray paint and $22.00 for hydraulic hose. The rest i ether had are found for free. Not to bad if I do say so my self . Figured out about 14 ton at 3000psi. yes I had a leak that why the bean can but fixed that Sunday. So the can is gone now. Just a o ring.
    Last edited by lane; 04-11-2011, 09:21 PM.
    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Great looking press and very innovative as well. I like the idea of using what's on hand instead of buying expensive parts when there is so much useful pieces laying in scrap boxes just about everywhere.

Comment

very nice...
      Precision takes time.

Comment

A very nice looking job of it (as usual). Glad you clarified because I was just about to ask if a different variety of beans would also work. I had just assumed that it powered the afterburner when you needed just that little bit of extra push.
        Last edited by TGTool; 04-11-2011, 11:43 PM.
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Very cool...

I have absolutely no use for a hydraulic press but i intend to build one sometime soon...

Comment

Very cool cylinder...

I got a welded 4x4 Chief cylinder to build a post for mine. Using 10" channel for the top beam, it takes more than sixty inches of steel to hang the cylinder above the square press pad on the bottom side.

I was thinking of disassembling the cylinder and doing a clone of yours there.. Welding the press pad to the top.

A press can do more than just press... you can use it as a ironworker to punch, shear, notch, and fabricate sheet metal parts. My big press has a break from a piranaha ironworker on it that bends 1/2" straps like butter.
            A old fashioned screw press? using it to press in bushings, races.. you get a better feel how much pressure you are putting on the part.. before it shatters.
            Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

nice job......

Comment

Hi Lane,

Nice job on the press. I think you will be surprised how many uses you will find for it.

I do wonder if it would be stronger if the table channel iron rested on top of the pins instead of having the pin go through a hole in the channel.

At least that is the way my factory built press is designed.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Brian
                OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

If you think you do not need a certain tool then after you have that tool you find all kinds of uses for it. In a few years you will be wondering how you ever got along without that tool. Been there done than many times.

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01
                    Hi Lane,

Nice job on the press. I think you will be surprised how many uses you will find for it.

I do wonder if it would be stronger if the table channel iron rested on top of the pins instead of having the pin go through a hole in the channel.

At least that is the way my factory built press is designed.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Brian
                    It will work both ways .I did that so if needed i could raise the platen up and down 2 inches at a time with out a bunch of holes . They are 4 inches apart. And just received a bigger cylinder I got of e-bay so now I have to rebuild the cylinder mount plate to mount the larger cylinder .
                    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

I've got two presses. One freebie that I refurbed and a big one that I'm building from scratch. Both are designed so the table rests on pins and has pins go through it. Just takes careful measuring and placement of the through holes.

Comment

Lane thanks for posting an interesting solution to the press build.

Comment

Nice press Lane,I'm with Brian,once you use it a few times you'll find all sorts of uses.

but I have to ask,where did you get that color scheme?Hot dog on a Stick?
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

2X on the nice job. Great example of what can be made at a low cost with some good old fashioned ingenuity.

Comment

Lane

Wheels ?? I looked but diidnt see any locking levers? How do you keep it from Rolling around when leaning up on it while using it? I been refitting my press with a 50 ton cylinder trying to make things fit. Was considering wheels on it (good idea) but only ones i have dont lock? I was thinking of different ways of locking it to one spoot when using it. Any ideas??

Comment

Working...
                              X