Can we have these two stickies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we have these two stickies?

1) Yes, the site is down / slow / intermittent. You don't need to ask or announce that to everybody else. Maybe it's the server. Maybe it's the DNS. Maybe it's the token ring octo-disgronificator loopback module. Most likely 99.5% of the readers who don't have the IP address hard wired into their Level 5 proxy cache lookup table are having the same problems.

2) Don't buy TPG insert tooling. Just don't.

Maybe the site runs slow due to the large amount of OT threads that litter this place.

Comment

What are you even saying??

Comment

Originally posted by beanbag
        1) Yes, the site is down / slow / intermittent. You don't need to ask or announce that to everybody else. Maybe it's the server. Maybe it's the DNS. Maybe it's the token ring octo-disgronificator loopback module. Most likely 99.5% of the readers who don't have the IP address hard wired into their Level 5 proxy cache lookup table are having the same problems.
        There already is one.

Comment

I don't think your No.2 issue matters. A great many folks use TPG tooling for lathe and mill work, but the biggest problem is they don't understand it's limitations nor how to select carbide grades for them.

I resisted a LONG time and even sold off a good TPG two-insert milling cutter, then capitulated and bought a spanking new Valenite VNCD-7461 5/8" solid carbide boring bar for $55, a deal I couldn't pass up for it's chatter-killing capabilities at such a great price.

I have other style insert boring bars, but you never know when chatter might hit and now I have another tool to help deal with it.

More recently I happened upon a deal for a couple of 1" shank holders (fits the CA size QCTP on dad's lathe) with some Valenite VC610 cermet inserts. Another deal I couldn't pass up, good for those special applications when neither carbide nor HSS can get the job done well.

The use of TPG inserts (one of the earliest forms of insertable carbide) is more troublesome in milling because so many people make the gross error of buying inserts because they fit, before checking to see if they'll actually work. Most turning grades are produced for non-interrupted cuts on lathes, while ALL cuts with a milling cutter are heavily interrupted. A few insert makers produce inserts specific to milling applications, in very tough high-cobalt-content grades, The inserts are relatively weak, so they're best used for finishing ops.

I'm not crazy about them, but they're not on my "NEVER" list.
          Last edited by PixMan; 04-15-2011, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Curious how a site is down sticky will work if the site is down

Comment

Originally posted by Bmyers
              Curious how a site is down sticky will work if the site is down
              Duhhhhh.............First you have to be psychic.........
              RPease

Comment

And, FYI, the web yokels who monitor the site etc technically, prob ably have local access that would not be slow, or "as slow" as the "civilians" who have to get to it the regular way from outside..... so maybe they never know.

I've seen cases where the locals could see stuff, but out-of local network access was down....... Had to make them access thru the 'net before they "got it" and fixed the problem.

Plus, like "georgineer" and his "call your ISP" idea, web boffins don't believe anything about problems until a bunch of folks say "yep, happens for me too".

As for #2..........

TPG seems to work fine for me....... along with others, some of which seem to work even better.

Whatever..............
                Last edited by J Tiers; 04-15-2011, 09:16 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

My Aloris #16 holder takes TPG, and does some mighty fine turning and facing for me. . .
                  Cheers,

Frank Ford
                  HomeShopTech

Comment

Working...
                  X