No announcement yet.

"New" South Bend 10k's... shipped yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" South Bend 10k's... shipped yet?

I have to admit, I'm really, really curious to hear from people on them. Anyone on this list ordered one? If so, have they begun to ship yet (Grizzly catalog lists "Available April 2011")?

Are you sure they even made them, the images could be computer generated and pre ordering might be a demand test. Grizzly is taking one heck of a large gamble on that design and if it fails the loss would be big (at least for a small fish like me). Retro is cool but they are competing against their own discount line, that does not make a whole lot of sense. It does seem odd no one has even mentioned ordering one. Has any forum users placed an order?

Comment

Whatever, squirrel.

Comment

To me I think they missed the boat on this one. I think if you had a lathe the size of the 10K and that kind of looked like it but modern features like a spindle that can take 5C collets (and maybe camlock spindle) it would be a nice machine. I'm also assuming the quality would be better than what I hear of the bargain basement chinese lathes.

It seems that the only 5C capable lathes are 12x24 (from grizzly) or the 12x36 lathes from Grizzly and others. These are all geared lathes as far as I know and seem complex and costly if you have problems (Maybe this is a stupid point and the geared lathes don't ever fail).

KEJR

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          Are you sure they even made them, the images could be computer generated and pre ordering might be a demand test. Grizzly is taking one heck of a large gamble on that design and if it fails the loss would be big (at least for a small fish like me). Retro is cool but they are competing against their own discount line, that does not make a whole lot of sense. It does seem odd no one has even mentioned ordering one. Has any forum users placed an order?
          They made at least one. Lots of people played with it at the trade shows. I think they would have noticed if it was computer generated imagery.

PapaGrizzly isn't stupid. He knows that taking orders for vaporware would be business suicide.

Comment

The copy of the originals look way to flexy IMO

Comment

I think the quality of the lathe will be the absolute best in its class from a new Chinese lathe in that size.
              The question is, will you buy one when you can get a much larger lathe for the same price, that can remove more material per pass?
              The lathe will have a following, and I am sure it will get very good reviews.
              The headstock casting does look flimsy but it is probably made of higher quality metal than the norm.
              I can't wait to read an honest unbiased review of this lathe, and that very well may be the most difficult part of all. Weeding out the Chicom haters and the die hard South Bend lover...

Comment

BUY your own Manufacturer!!!

THe Standard Modern company is for sale. See Toronto Kijiji ads for details. The price is an astonishingly low 1.1 million dollars.My Standard Modern 9" would eat a Southbend 9 " for a snack. reputedly the only lathes to ever pass the US Navy test---- drop em 15 feet, turn them on and still machine to a half thou. regards David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell
                  THe Standard Modern company is for sale. See Toronto Kijiji ads for details. The price is an astonishingly low 1.1 million dollars.My Standard Modern 9" would eat a Southbend 9 " for a snack. reputedly the only lathes to ever pass the US Navy test---- drop em 15 feet, turn them on and still machine to a half thou. regards David Powell.
                  I don't know about the "test", but I do know the SM lathes I ran while I was in the Navy were head & shoulders above the rest including the Monarchs and LeBlonds.

Comment

Dr Stan

Why were the Standard Modern lathes head and shoulders above the rest including Monarch and LeBlonds ?

Hal
                    Last edited by Hal; 04-19-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal
                      Dr Stan

Why were the South Bend lathes head and shoulders above the rest including Monarch and LeBlonds ?

Hal
                      Dr Stan said SM (Standard Modern) lathes not Southbend.
                      Mark Hockett

Comment

They are about the best money can buy-----

I went on a tour of the factory some years ago. Every worker was proud to work there and produce a great , CANADIAN product. When I went some castings were being sourced from offshore, quite a lot were being returned as not being good enough. Most parts, including many of the gears, were made in their own plant. When I went they were supplying spares for all they had ever built, I believe the spares business later was sold to LeBlond.Like the old Packard ad says " Ask the man who owns one". The only disadvantage that some home shop machinists may find is that they all have geared headstocks, and thus are naturally noisier than belt driven Myfords and Southbends. Regards David Powell.

Comment

I'm anxious to replace my worn out 10K and do not see many choices so I have been waiting for the new 10K and heavy 10. I'd like to hear from anyone who has a new 10k about what they think of it.

Ed P

Comment

Im personally not a fan of the majority of the offshore machines for one simple reason - the castings suck - these included. Not to start an argument, but compared to the US made castings I see at work everyday, there is no comparison.

+1 for SM being a quality, modern made, North American manual machine tool
                            "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Hal, you need to see your optometrist!

Comment

Working...
                              X