Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the Delta Rockwell 21-122 horiz/vert mill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Delta Rockwell 21-122 horiz/vert mill?

Howdy all,

I've got a line on a Delta Rockwell horizontal with the optional vertical head (effectively making it a model 21-122).... Any thoughts on them for HSM work? Were they decent machines?

http://www.lathes.co.uk/rockwellmillers/page2.html

Thx.

-Aric.

One of the better mills for a home shop if you can't fit a Bridgeport. Only negative is that you will have a difficult time finding parts so make sure that the machine is complete and in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by adatesman
      Howdy all,

I've got a line on a Delta Rockwell horizontal with the optional vertical head (effectively making it a model 21-122).... Any thoughts on them for HSM work? Were they decent machines?

http://www.lathes.co.uk/rockwellmillers/page2.html
      Aric,

I have one. Has both horizontal and vertical functions. Parts can be near impossible to get. But there isn't that much to break.

Pull the table and snug up the lead-screw nut assy. Clean up the ways and gibs. Do not drop the gibs.

You are gonna love the horizontal function.
      You will hate swapping vertical head for horizontal overarm.

Do not ever bump the vertical spindle pulleys. It will chip them and it is near impossible to find replacements for them.

-DU-

Comment

R8 spindle, NTMB 30 spindle on the horizontal. Tapered gibs. There may have been two versions regarding distance under the vertical spindle, the older version being less, I can't be sure on that.

Using the overarm with the horizontal spindle essentially wipes out the advantage of the vertical spindle, (i.e., switching the arm back and forth is a royal pita.) But, nothing stopping you from using end mill holders, etc, on the horizontal.

The conversion vertical head you speak of will most likely lack the scale and fine adjust for head tramming, no big deal.
        Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

Had the vertical for years. Great machine for the size. Don't worry about missing or broken handles as they can be replaced but other parts will be hard to find. If the condition and price is right go for it.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Folks. With luck s/he will be mine in the very near future; only problem is s/he's just far enough away to be a major inconvenience and SWMBO isn't sold on the idea. Near as I can tell the asking price is less than an order of magnitude than the cost of the tooling I broke this past week on the less-than-rigid-enough minimill I've been using to prototype parts on so this is really a no brainer (not a fault of the mini-mill in question; rather I'm pushing it well beyond its design capabilities due to moving from prototyping to production for the the parts I'm working with).

Depending on how negotiations go there will hopefully be a tool gloat thread in my very near future....

-aric.

Comment

I've had the same model for about six years now. Agree with comments above. Rarely used athe horizontal spindle until about a year ago. Shell mill squaring up some chunks of aluminum for welding fixtures, was great. Always wish I had more table space but overall, nicely made machine. Mine came with 200 volt motors which is a bit on the odd side but a couple of buck/boost t- formers cured that issue. Top speed is 6300 rpm on 1800 rpm motor, low speed is 370 which is a bit high but nothing a VFD can't cure.
              I bury my work

Comment

Working...
              X