Dealer transactions---OUTRAGIOUS SHIPPING FEES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer transactions---OUTRAGIOUS SHIPPING FEES

Has any one done business with this company. I think they are in Germany.

http://www.emco.or.at/shop/index.php

They deal in the Emco line of parts and accessories. I wanted to order several items for the Compact 5 Lathe and C5 vertical mill head.

Well here is what I there Online order store said.

1 pinon gear 24,75 Euro

Low order fee 8,00

shipping 75,00

107,75 Euro (153.40 in USD)

Now this is for a USA Address in Oregon

I just think this is just Outrageous.

I have tried to contact them, but they have not responded.

william

William

Thats not THEIR fault, thats the cost of shipping it. I cannot remember the last time we shipped anything for under $100 to europe or asia with UPS. If you are using a credit card for payment you don't have much choice because UPS & BAX and FedEX are the only ones with international tracking and delivery confirmation, something the credit card processor requires so the seller will not get burned. Try a wire transfer and ask them to send it USPS international flat rate, it will save you money but if it takes forever and a day or gets lost your SOL.

Comment

Iv been dealing with a company in austrailia that uses TNT shiping.. they charge me $12 flat rate, 3 day delivery from austrailia to canada! if only the rest of the world could figure that out..
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
        Iv been dealing with a company in austrailia that uses TNT shiping.. they charge me $12 flat rate, 3 day delivery from austrailia to canada! if only the rest of the world could figure that out..
        Hi Black_Moons,

What company is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
          Well yes I under stand its not there fault. But I have received things from the Uk for 13.00 and 8 days. most web sites have a shipping Option for Non Eu
          addresses, and shipping is adjusted accordingly at check out.

william

Comment

I ordered a lathe manual from Germany,and they sent it by COURIER,which I DID NOT request. I think that cost me an extra $100.00,much more than the manual cost.

After I got the new manual,I found the old one which I had in my file cabinet and had overlooked several times. Fortunately,I was able to save the money I had lost by trading the old manual for one that would have cost me $115.00.

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson
              I ordered a lathe manual from Germany,and they sent it by COURIER,which I DID NOT request. I think that cost me an extra $100.00,much more than the manual cost.

After I got the new manual,I found the old one which I had in my file cabinet and had overlooked several times. Fortunately,I was able to save the money I had lost by trading the old manual for one that would have cost me $115.00.
              Ant that a pisser.

Comment

William, it has been my experience that European companies don't answer emails reliably. Also, everyone's heading off for the Easter weekend, so you may not get an answer until Tuesday.

Next, Emco is an Austrian company. A quick look at the Austrian Post website shows that intl parcel rates to zone 3 (USA) is € 6.50/kilo. Your package should ship dirt cheap compared to what they've quoted.

I have sometimes had to explain to Euro sellers that paying the most money for postage isn't really a goal of mine.

And by the way...USPS is only available in the USA, hence the name.

Comment

Another, not necessarily cheap option is DHL. They offer tracking via a website. Admittedly erratic service. A prepaid envelope sent from Turkey to Calgary containing a USB cost 98 NTL and took a week. A prepaid package containing 3 rugs (shipping passed along to me at cost of +/- 165 NTL) sent from Turkey to my home in rural Alberta took 3 days...

It was a source of amusement to decipher the route the envelope took. Istanbul-Hamburg-Cincinatti-Hamilton-Cincinatti-Hamilton-Waterloo(?)-Calgary held Friday afternoon to Monday for delivery. Delivered Monay Afternoon at 3:30 PM.

To add insult to injury, the envelope was dropped off at the DHL counter at the Ataturk airport (Istanbul's international airport), while the rugs were shipped from the Grand Bazaar 20 km across the city.
                  Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Yhese guys might be an alternative:

http://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk/Ho...1/Default.aspx

Phil

Comment

Yesterday I found out it cost me $37 to ship a 2lb package 80 miles via UPS ground

It was some two part epoxy and thanks to some new rules by our [email protected]&*(@!! government it had to ship as "hazmat"
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                        Yesterday I found out it cost me $37 to ship a 2lb package 80 miles via UPS ground

It was some two part epoxy and thanks to some new rules by our [email protected]&*(@!! government it had to ship as "hazmat"
                        It is hazardous. Epoxy resin fires are non-trivial on an airplane. The fact that UPS is charging you $37 for $4 worth of ground transport is the government's fault how?

Comment

Sounds like its time to start buying from countrys who know how to ship stuff! (Like austrailia!) and telling UPS to go $#@% itself.

PS: that $12 flat rate shiping from austrailia, Takes 3 days! thats faster then I get.. anything from the USA.. (Exception of: digikey shipments)

As far as epoxy.. why not pick that up localy? though sometimes its hard to find the type you want...

(localy I had to go to like 4 stores to find 2 that would sell >5 min epoxy. One store sells whiteish 2 hour marine epoxy.. seems to work OK. Another sells clear 15 min epoxy that works very nicely (And does not take 2 days to fully cure)).
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I think one reason companies use expensive post or courier options is because they get insurance for non-delivery or damaged goods. And if they are posting off-shore they really get worried (will it get wet when the canoe delivers it to NZ?)

I have found with one US book publisher (Lindsay) that if I write "I accept all liability and will not claim in the event of damage or non-delivery" etc. etc. they will send cheap (but slow).

Perhaps an email along these lines may help. The problem is that most on-line ordering systems don't allow any options for post, or means of discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Q
                              It is hazardous. Epoxy resin fires are non-trivial on an airplane.
                              Depends on whether you are on the ground or in the plane (that will soon be heading rapidly to the ground)..

I just had 22kg sent from US to AU... cost me $47 and a week and a half
                              Precision takes time.

Comment

Working...
                              X