Dealer transactions---OUTRAGIOUS SHIPPING FEES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greg Q
    It is hazardous. Epoxy resin fires are non-trivial on an airplane. The fact that UPS is charging you $37 for $4 worth of ground transport is the government's fault how?
    So is any fire on an airplane

It never got within ten feet of an airplane,you didn't read my post,I said 80 miles not 800.It also went ground,not air.

No the extra $33 was for the sticker on the side of the box and a 13 page MSDS sheet,plain vanilla box including bubble wrap.Same package last year was $4.95 including the same MSDS sheet which states ingestion as the major hazard .

E-mailed response from the vendor today was "Due to regulatory changes that went into effect Jan 1,2011,blah,blah,blah......all liquid and semi-solid products must now be declared as hazardous when shipped"Ya,that's how it's the government's fault.I requested chapter and verse of the regs haven't gotten them yet,when I do it will be blown back to my congressmen and senator.

Even with $4.50/gallon gas the next order will be a will call.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
      )
      As far as epoxy.. why not pick that up localy? though sometimes its hard to find the type you want...

(localy I had to go to like 4 stores to find 2 that would sell >5 min epoxy. One store sells whiteish 2 hour marine epoxy.. seems to work OK. Another sells clear 15 min epoxy that works very nicely (And does not take 2 days to fully cure)).
      BM,at $215 per .88kg with hardner it isn't your average epoxy

Comment

The Brown Scourge (UPS), likes their $35 a shipment hazmat fees. I was most annoyed to have to pay it for a couple of 200 gram material samples from a vendor that contained about 50ml of isopropyl alcohol as an ingredient. I have much better luck with FedEx ground shipping hazmat to my business address. I get dozens of hazmat packages per year that way and they don't cost any more than usual. The kicker is that that the vendor has to package everything in expensive non-reusable (legally anyway) UN approved hazmat shipping containers, usually double walled cardboard boxes with an inner container containing an adsorbant. Since most of what I get are samples of exotic materials, the vendors usually bear the cost of the exotic packaging while the freight is mine.

I have at least 4 kinds of epoxies and about a dozen hardeners and they all shipped hazmat from the industrial epoxy manufacturers like Huntsman and Hexion. The rules change involved may in fact be forcing everybody to follow the rules that always existed but were interpreted by some to have gray areas.

If you are in desperate need of specific epoxy, you can probably order it from the samples department at Huntsman. You do have to know the number of the epoxy and the hardeners your are interested in however. GY6010 is default medium viscosity epoxy while the number of hardeners that you might want depending on application are almost limitless. Getting epoxy this way means mixing everything by weight and carefully as the myriad additives like nonyl phenol etc used to get simple mixing ratios aren't added to the unformulated materials. Huntsman asks about $50 a gallon for GY6010 plus shipping.

--Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by ckelloug
          The Brown Scourge (UPS), likes their $35 a shipment hazmat fees. I was most annoyed to have to pay it for a couple of 200 gram material samples from a vendor that contained about 50ml of isopropyl alcohol as an ingredient. I have much better luck with FedEx ground shipping hazmat to my business address. I get dozens of hazmat packages per year that way and they don't cost any more than usual. The kicker is that that the vendor has to package everything in expensive non-reusable (legally anyway) UN approved hazmat shipping containers, usually double walled cardboard boxes with an inner container containing an adsorbant. Since most of what I get are samples of exotic materials, the vendors usually bear the cost of the exotic packaging while the freight is mine.

--Cameron
          I think this is more about the fees.Real hazmat always has the ID of the contents marked on the outside of the container for obvious reasons.This had nothing but a hazmat sticker on the box.Two heavy wall plastic tubs with sealed lids that contain basically uber thick peanut butter inside.

Comment

Originally posted by cole7015
            Well yes I under stand its not there fault. But I have received things from the Uk for 13.00 and 8 days. most web sites have a shipping Option for Non Eu
            addresses, and shipping is adjusted accordingly at check out.

william
            If you still have the tag or remember the carrier please post that because the shipping costs are hurting our sales and a lower cost method would help. China subsidizes their outbound shipping so their internet retailers can have much stronger web sales (and eBay does not charge China sellers selling fees, thanks eBay), I would wonder if the UK is doing the same because I cannot ship anything out of the USA for $13, its even hard to ship within the USA using a $12 flat rate box. If the UK is not subsidizing outbound mailing it must be the USA post office giving us the dry corn cob.....

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
              I think this is more about the fees.Real hazmat always has the ID of the contents marked on the outside of the container for obvious reasons.This had nothing but a hazmat sticker on the box.Two heavy wall plastic tubs with sealed lids that contain basically uber thick peanut butter inside.
              So is this a new government regulation, or just the latest UPS tariff?

Comment

Originally posted by Highpower
                So is this a new government regulation, or just the latest UPS tariff?
                Dunno yet,could be both,could be something old that hasn't been enforced until the current Nazi's,could just be rampant inbred bureaucratic stupidity.I'm pissed enough about it to find out please stand by.

Comment

I just ordered some upgrade parts for my computer from a store in Vancouver. They sent it via Fedex. It took four days to get here and cost $40 shipping by ground. It averaged 4.3 mph ground speed. I can walk faster than that. The Fedex tracking site shows it as picked up but not yet in transit even though it's in my hand.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Yesterday I found out it cost me $37 to ship a 2lb package 80 miles via UPS ground

It was some two part epoxy and thanks to some new rules by our [email protected]&*(@!! government it had to ship as "hazmat"
                    That's not a new rule. I've always had to pay a hazmat fee to ship Moglice (way bearing material) which is just epoxy embedded with teflon.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

The haz-mat fee is called value adding!!! The government enabled UPS. I have never even seen a haz-mat kit on a UPS truck, if they had to cover all possible spills the truck would be filled with special safety gear and clean up supplies and would not have room for packages. They are just putting the shaft to customers and no one has enough sense to call them on it.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                        The haz-mat fee is called value adding!!! The government enabled UPS. I have never even seen a haz-mat kit on a UPS truck, if they had to cover all possible spills the truck would be filled with special safety gear and clean up supplies and would not have room for packages. They are just putting the shaft to customers and no one has enough sense to call them on it.
                        I think you're absolutely, positively correct!
                        When I buy epoxy from MSC or McMaster, no hazmat fee. But Devitt Machinery (the US Moglice distributor) charges a $15 hazmat fee on $30 worth of Moglice.

It's just a sleazy Dealer Markup, IMHO.
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                          That's not a new rule. I've always had to pay a hazmat fee to ship Moglice (way bearing material) which is just epoxy embedded with teflon.
                          Hehe,read the MSDS and be sure you aren't being screwed then.

I got a message back from the vendor,it wasn't them,it was UPS that tagged it.
                          Called my UPS account rep explained the situation to her,she said she couldn't do anything to credit the hazmat fee back unless I could provide documentation on the shipping requirements for the products shipped.I faxed her both copies of the MSDS sheets with section 14 highlighted whichs states-

Transportation - No restrictions for domestic or international transportation

No restrictions means No restrictions it's not hazardous,the vendor was refunded $29.15 and they just issued me a credit for the same.

Now I have ordered various adhesives,chemicals and oils from McMaster and never paid hazmat,something tells me UPS gouges small operations that don't have an army of bean counters to dot I's and cross T's.

Also I have noticed that my local welding supply will hand me an MSDS sheet when I buy a spray can of Lincoln anti-spatter spray or a box of rods,but Homedepot doesn't.

Then again the welding supply is also charging me a $3.00 hazmat compliance fee and Homedepot isn't

Comment

I know that a couple of years ago hazmat fees killed the availability of calcium carbide in small quantities. Nobody wanted to pay the ridiculous fees and sales dropped of the charts, prompting retailers to drop it from their inventories. A product that used to be plentiful for an untold number of years, suddenly became extinct.

I guess I must have missed all the news stories about the hundreds of UPS trucks that burst into flames going down the road.

Comment

Hehe,read the MSDS and be sure you aren't being screwed then.

I got a message back from the vendor,it wasn't them,it was UPS that tagged it.
                              Called my UPS account rep explained the situation to her,she said she couldn't do anything to credit the hazmat fee back unless I could provide documentation on the shipping requirements for the products shipped.
                              Oh, I know for a fact I was being screwed -- we've discussed this many times here and on PracticalMachinist: the first time Devitt charged me the hazmat fee, I called UPS, and they said there was no hazmat handling fee or charges. But Devitt wouldn't budge. They're clearly just padding the cost of the Moglice.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                                I just ordered some upgrade parts for my computer from a store in Vancouver. They sent it via Fedex. It took four days to get here and cost $40 shipping by ground. It averaged 4.3 mph ground speed. I can walk faster than that. The Fedex tracking site shows it as picked up but not yet in transit even though it's in my hand.
                                Yes, but I'll bet you couldnt keep that pace going for 4 days & 3 nights like the Fedex guys do

john
                                John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Working...
                                X