X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clevelander
    replied
    Something you should know...

In part the reason that shipping charges are so high is the "brokerage fee" that has to be built in to cover the cost of doing the paperwork at the border (typically a percentage of the value and/or a minimum charge typcially about $35.00 - $7500).

If you have things shipped by mail there is no brokerage charge (provided your vendor will ship by mail). I bought some brake calipers from Germany and the cost to ship was very reasonable. I've also had kits shipped from England, same deal and the service is faster than you might expect about a week as I recall.

Hope that helps you.

Leave a comment:

• RancherBill
    replied
    Originally posted by J. Randall
    About a year ago in this same thread you said it cost you 100.00 .
    Inflation is all around us.

Leave a comment:

• J. Randall
    replied
    Originally posted by gwilson
    I ordered a lathe manual from Germany,and they sent it COURIER without asking. $150.00 fee.
    About a year ago in this same thread you said it cost you 100.00 .

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Originally posted by ckelloug
    HI Guys,

My LLC (that is me) just became a certified hazmat shipper for FedEx ground. I had to attend an internet class that took me 9 hours with the tests. I then spent 3 months waiting for all of the I's to be dotted and t's to be crossed in the approval paperwork. I had to spend a day chasing fedex support because the internet version of the software is confusing and another day to find out that what I needed to do can be done on the internet and didn't require a custom copy of FedEx's shipping software like the first several reps told me. I then shipped my first two hazmat boxes only to have them returned to me because the FedEx guy forgot to take the shipper's declaration form that was sitting on top of the boxes.

The special UN Boxes are expensive. Special U.N. boxes require special tape to meet their certifications. The amount of time spent making sure that the paperwork is exactly right is also amazing. It's even more fun if you have to start looking up EX numbers for what you are shipping etc. One must also remember that DOT can issue $50,000 fines to the shipper for certain types of errors so there is a huge risk of liability.

The shipper must then placard the shipment with my hazmat boxes on it and it will probably have increased paperwork problems everywhere it goes. They also have to carry beaucoup paperwork with it and retain records of what it was and where it went for two years. I also have to retain records of what it was and where it went for two years.

@lazlo
    I just looked up one of the moglice hardeners by searching for moglice and MSDS and it contains Phenol. Phenol is listed on the training materials for hazmat shipping and is UN 1671. If this hardener was involved, it is most definitely hazardous by the definitions used by DOT. The one that you have may not actually be hazardous material but ours and DOT's definition of hazardous may vary. If you think a bit of hardener is bad, shipments containing metallic sodium are not even accepted by fedex ground. PM me if you want me to look at the MSDS and try to figure out what went wrong. I've now wasted just enough of my life on this type of problem to have some knowledge.
    Thanks Cameron.

That was an excellent focussed detailed post which should clarify some issues for some people even if they don't like it or won't see it.

It certainly filled in some glaring gaps for me.

Leave a comment:

• RancherBill
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrel
    it must be the USA post office giving us the dry corn cob.....
    You guys get great service and prices from what I see on this and other boards compared to Canada Post.

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    I ordered a lathe manual from Germany,and they sent it COURIER without asking. $150.00 fee.

Leave a comment:

• ckelloug
    replied
    HI Guys,

My LLC (that is me) just became a certified hazmat shipper for FedEx ground. I had to attend an internet class that took me 9 hours with the tests. I then spent 3 months waiting for all of the I's to be dotted and t's to be crossed in the approval paperwork. I had to spend a day chasing fedex support because the internet version of the software is confusing and another day to find out that what I needed to do can be done on the internet and didn't require a custom copy of FedEx's shipping software like the first several reps told me. I then shipped my first two hazmat boxes only to have them returned to me because the FedEx guy forgot to take the shipper's declaration form that was sitting on top of the boxes.

The special UN Boxes are expensive. Special U.N. boxes require special tape to meet their certifications. The amount of time spent making sure that the paperwork is exactly right is also amazing. It's even more fun if you have to start looking up EX numbers for what you are shipping etc. One must also remember that DOT can issue $50,000 fines to the shipper for certain types of errors so there is a huge risk of liability.

The shipper must then placard the shipment with my hazmat boxes on it and it will probably have increased paperwork problems everywhere it goes. They also have to carry beaucoup paperwork with it and retain records of what it was and where it went for two years. I also have to retain records of what it was and where it went for two years.

@lazlo
    I just looked up one of the moglice hardeners by searching for moglice and MSDS and it contains Phenol. Phenol is listed on the training materials for hazmat shipping and is UN 1671. If this hardener was involved, it is most definitely hazardous by the definitions used by DOT. The one that you have may not actually be hazardous material but ours and DOT's definition of hazardous may vary. If you think a bit of hardener is bad, shipments containing metallic sodium are not even accepted by fedex ground. PM me if you want me to look at the MSDS and try to figure out what went wrong. I've now wasted just enough of my life on this type of problem to have some knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    I really can't see what the griping is all about.

All I want to know from a supplier is the "all in" cost for the part/tool + postage/handling/transport etc.

In short, all I want to know is how much I have to pay to get that item. If it is within my budget for the item I might buy it, and if not I can always say no or go without or "shop around".

If you really need that tool and it has to be transported/posted the "all in" price is what you will have to pay - no "ifs", no "buts" and no complaining about what you can do nothing about.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    This truth is..............

Originally posted by lazlo
    Oh, I know for a fact I was being screwed -- we've discussed this many times here and on PracticalMachinist: the first time Devitt charged me the hazmat fee, I called UPS, and they said there was no hazmat handling fee or charges. But Devitt wouldn't budge. They're clearly just padding the cost of the Moglice.

When shipping anything hazardous we at Devitt Machinery charge a $20.00 Hazmat Fee, this covers the cost of the UN box and the special packaging materials. The shipping fee that is on the invoice is what Fedex charges us and we pass along to you. There is no padding the cost!

Leave a comment:

• 914Wilhelm
    replied
    You can buy potassium nitrate (saltpeter) at well equipped pharmacies. You can get what is probably a lower grade potassium nitrate at Home Depot as a "stump remover." You can thus avoid the hazmat fees.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    Originally posted by lazlo
    Bluing salts = potassium nitrate (saltpeter). That's an oxidizer, and actually is a hazmat.
    WOW! Hope the better half does not read this post, if she finds out that stuff is saltpeter she'll make me wear a fully body haz-mat suit and fresh air breathing system!!!!

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrel
    Just order bluing salts from Brownells and got a $25 hazmat fee
    Bluing salts = potassium nitrate (saltpeter). That's an oxidizer, and actually is a hazmat.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    Just order bluing salts from Brownells and got a $25 hazmat fee

Leave a comment:

• jugs
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan
    I just ordered some upgrade parts for my computer from a store in Vancouver. They sent it via Fedex. It took four days to get here and cost $40 shipping by ground. It averaged 4.3 mph ground speed. I can walk faster than that. The Fedex tracking site shows it as picked up but not yet in transit even though it's in my hand.
    Yes, but I'll bet you couldnt keep that pace going for 4 days & 3 nights like the Fedex guys do

john

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience
    Hehe,read the MSDS and be sure you aren't being screwed then.

I got a message back from the vendor,it wasn't them,it was UPS that tagged it.
    Called my UPS account rep explained the situation to her,she said she couldn't do anything to credit the hazmat fee back unless I could provide documentation on the shipping requirements for the products shipped.
    Oh, I know for a fact I was being screwed -- we've discussed this many times here and on PracticalMachinist: the first time Devitt charged me the hazmat fee, I called UPS, and they said there was no hazmat handling fee or charges. But Devitt wouldn't budge. They're clearly just padding the cost of the Moglice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X