Vertex micrometers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertex micrometers?

I have been offered a set of Vertex micrometers by a local shop though they would have to get them in from another branch. (Just one of the things about living in a small town)

He tells me the micrometers are in a wooden box, thats good, but I cannot find much reference to Vertex micrometers on-line and no reference at all to them being sold in sets in wooden boxes. I can find Chinese sets in wooden boxes which are much cheaper and I would hate to find the "Vertex" set is just the same but quite a bit dearer.

Yes, I know the Chinese ones off line are no doubt 'good enough' but I hate buying things I cannot see first.

I Googled the name and found a great many users of the name 'Vertex' but none that list micrometers in thier product lines. If they do not exist anywhere else in the world I would have to conclude that some NZ importer is putting the 'Vertex' name on generic Asian instruments.

Has anyone even heard of Vertex micrometers?

They make very good stuff top of the asian range I have a six inch vice of theirs and they come highly regarded.I think they are becoming a quality name.My friends have nothing but good to say about them anyway.I suppose if your comparing them with mitutoya I couldnt say whether they are that good (OR NOT) maybe they are but of course they will be alot cheaper Let us find out what others say here but I like their stuff a lot. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Vertex are a Taiwan company that do vices, rotary tables ..chucks etc ..seems they have branched out into micrometres .

They will be the same quality as any Taiwanese makes .

http://www.vertex-tw.com.tw/

if they are not the above ...cheap ones come in white coloured wood boxes ..expensive come in dark coloured wood boxes.

oh BTW ..there is another "quality" make of and DTIs called "Verdict"..they also make or supply micrometres, try and find out if he's getting mixed up with the name

http://www.mjallen.co.uk/library/cat...icrometers.pdf

another BTW ..ARE these digital micrometres

as general rule ..the quality stuff either comes in plastic boxes or dark hardwood boxes..the other stuff comes in white wood boxes

All the best.markj
      Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 04-21-2011, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
        They make very good stuff top of the asian range I have a six inch vice of theirs and they come highly regarded.I think they are becoming a quality name.My friends have nothing but good to say about them anyway.I suppose if your comparing them with mitutoya I couldnt say whether they are that good (OR NOT) maybe they are but of course they will be alot cheaper Let us find out what others say here but I like their stuff a lot. Alistair
        Thanks, I knew of the vices etc but I could not find any boxed sets of micrometers on their web site. That made me suspicious.

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
          Vertex are a Taiwan company that do vices, rotary tables ..chucks etc ..seems they have branched out into micrometres .

They will be the same quality as any Taiwanese makes .

http://www.vertex-tw.com.tw/

if they are not the above ...cheap ones come in white coloured wood boxes ..expensive come in dark coloured wood boxes.

oh BTW ..there is another "quality" make of and DTIs called "Verdict"..they also make or supply micrometres, try and find out if he's getting mixed up with the name

another BTW ..ARE these digital micrometres

All the best.markj

Thanks Mark, the quality of the wooden box is a useful tip as at least I can look at that without breaking the instruments out of their wrappers etc and I think I have seen enough cheap Chinese wooden boxes to recognise them.

These will be regular 'manual' micrometers but it is good to know that "Verdict" is a good name too.

Comment

Vertex may be a taiwanese company but would nearly bet my balls 99% of what they sell is chinese...
            Precision takes time.

Comment

Do what I do,when in doubt call the dealer up and ask them where they are made.Go grab one off the shelf and look at it is what I tell them,if they are too lazy to look,then I am too lazy to buy from them.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

well they look sort of cheap to me

i found them on the vertex website

here's one

all the best.markj

Comment

Wow is that a awful picture. Is that cast iron or did they just cast it outta sand and paint it?
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Simply because a company is based in one country or another is no reason to assume that all of their products are manufactured by them or in that country. Vertex does make a good line of vises and work holding tools as well as machine tools.

I would be very suspect of their precision measuring tools as they are a new addition to their line. Much the same as Kurt has added cheap imports to their line of vises. The photo looks like the generic chicom micrometer.
                    Jim H.

Comment

Wow is that a awful picture. Is that cast iron or did they just cast it outta sand and paint it?
                      ????

Must have a good monitor to be able to see through the Hammerite paint.

Someone on another site couldn't find them on the Vertex site Mark.

Regards Ian.
                      You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip
                        ????
                        Must have a good monitor to be able to see through the Hammerite paint.
                        Someone on another site couldn't find them on the Vertex site Mark.
                        Regards Ian.
                        Eh? Im talking about the surface of the paint, Looks about as rough as tree bark.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Vertex quality is a bit patchy in my experience. I had always believed that they represented good Chinese quality at a slightly higher price and on this basis bought a milling Vertex vice - a Kurt look-alike, not the smaller K series. I have been dissapointed with this purchase. The two sides of the base are slightly different in height and the jaw pull down feature does not work effectively. Both of these problems can be fixed with a re-grind to the base and some work to the pull down mechanism, but I was hoping for better. I think that Vertex as a company means well, but they need to be vigilant about their QA.
                          Bill

Comment

I finally found a NZ distributor who offers Vertex micrometers in a boxed set!

http://www.foxgunn.co.nz/index_files/Page6963.htm

The box certainly looks better than some of the ones I have seen so maybe the instruments are better too.

Something that is still unsettling is the logo which is quite unlike the Vertex logo on anything else.
                            Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 04-22-2011, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon

All the best.markj
                              They have a website for the various bits..

http://cheapqualitygauges.synthasite.com/

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X