New Guy needs advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy needs advice

My name is Bob and I live in Idaho and build Flintlock rifles as well as furniture. I have a rather large shop and it is too well tooled. I am self taught in about everything I do and have a fair library to learn from.
    My latest plan is to update an old Logan metal lathe I bought several years ago. It was a real deal! It is also been distroyed by a guy who tried to rebuild it. Please understand I am in no way a production shop as I only use the Lathe once or twice a month on small projects. I would love to have an American made machine but the cost is out of the question and I am not smart enough to buy used. As I learned the hard way! I am looking at a Grizzly G4003G machine. I think it is plenty of machine for my needs and it will fit in my shop. I have some other Grizzly wood working machines and they are of fair quality. Metal working my be another story. Any advice or opinions will be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

How did he "destroy" it. That would take some work? Grind the ways with a disc grinder.

Comment

Fairly new to metalworking myself...

But I've got a 30 year old Grizzly 12x24 belt drive that I bought used, it's been a very good machine for my needs. I also have several Grizzly woodworking machines, and I've been very happy with all of them, enough that I also just bought a brand new Grizzly 0619 mill. I got lucky buying a used lathe, but on the mill, I knew I was in the same boat as you, I didn't know enough to buy a used machine. I'd say go for it, by all accounts, it's a good machine for the money. Later.

Dave

Comment

I have a rather large shop and it is too well tooled.
        I can help you out on that score. I have an F250 and Idaho isn't that far from here. What would you like me to haul away?
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The reviews on the 4003G lathe that I have seen have all been positive. Grizzly stands behind their products and people seem to like the two "G" model gunsmith lathes.

Comment

Bob,
            You will get lots of different views on import vs domestic machines on here. Old American iron is great but if you don't have the skills or equipment to fix it getting something that is supported and available makes perfect sense to me. Making chips is how you learn. In a few years you might have a different view on your Logan. If you have room protect it and see what a couple of years brings.
            The good point with Grizzly is they seem to have parts available for their machines. I have found that if the machine is made in Taiwan it's a step above China. If you ask Grizzly the will tell you. I have found the only way to know for sure is look at the machine. It will almost always say " Made in Taiwan ". You can usually tell also by just looking at them, much nicer than mainland China.
            Good luck.
            Dave

Comment

Welcome aboard Bob. You are without a doubt in the right place.

o/
              ----
              Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Long Ears
                I have a rather large shop and it is too well tooled.

I never thought I'd ever hear anyone say that!

Comment

pics of the flintlocks would be nice.

Comment

Can't help you out with the quality of grizzly tools, But what part of Idaho are you in? I'm in Idaho Falls

Comment

I wont comment on Grizzly toys...I mean tools...but I would seriously consider posting pictures of the Logan and seeing if members here cant help you. One thing about the Logan that you might not realize is that limited new parts support is still available, and being one of the more common US made machine tools, used parts are plentiful. Ive used quite a few and find them to be an excellant quality lathe given the small size. Ive also rebuilt several machines the last few years and suspect you might be overthinking the difficulty level of it. Typically its a simple matter of cleaning and adjusting, then learning to use the machine properly. Machine usage is like driving vehicles, you dont truly understand the capabilities of the machine until youve had it apart. Save your money for tooling...thats the real expense.
                      "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I'm in Bonners Ferry ( Idaho Panhandle ) and I too would like to know where you are located. One of my enjoyments is bringing old iron back too life.
                        Jim

Comment

Logan lathe

I have two Logan 200's that I brought back to life.
                          They have served me well.
                          If you want to start making chips immediately then buy a new Grizzly.
                          If you can wait then almost all the parts you will need are available on Ebay and you will learn a lot while you refurbish/repair.
                          I had an immediate need for a mill and bought a new import that has worked well.
                          You pay your money and take your choice.
                          Bill
                          I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Just checked the Grizzly catalog. The G4003G looks to be a good choice.

As a newby I have had good luck with a used G9249. Many learned members have said these machines need to be cleaned prior to being put into service, I agree with that.

Welcome aboard, You will find this website educational, interesting, humorus on occasion, and willing to help when they are asked.

Comment

"I have a rather large shop and it is too well tooled."

Along with pictures of your lathe...how about some pictures of your shop?

I know we all love to see the "Man Cave's" others hang out in. I suffer with a 16 x 40 foot space that is shared between woodworking and metalworking...

Wish I had more space...

For the money the Grizzly tools seem to be OK. I have some of their woodworking tools and they have served me well and I will buy more shortly.

No experience with their metalworking tools but if I were in the market I'd probably buy from them.

I have two South Bend lathes so I don't expect I will be needing another any time soon. You know, you don't have to be an expert to end up buying a good used lathe (although luck might then play a part)...but chances are the new Grizzly with be on par with something used that you might buy...or maybe better...

Comment

Working...
                              X