Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

improving Aloris copy parting tool holder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaakko Fagerlund
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteF
    Jaakko, like you, my wife is Finnish ... So I do as I'm told
    Yeah, you can get far just with sisu

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yes the mod worked very well, and easily parted some 25 mm steel rod with nice straight parting. It didn't take long to setup so I would definitely recommend it to others

Jaakko, like you, my wife is Finnish ... So I do as I'm told

Leave a comment:

• DICKEYBIRD
    replied
    Like Ron above, I made a temporary fix 4 or 5 yrs. ago and am still using it.

I had several of the tapered blades so I just mounted 2 of them back-to-back with one of them upside-down.

Leave a comment:

• Jaakko Fagerlund
    replied
    Nice modification! I should do something similar, though it means making the whole holder as I have none at the moment

Originally posted by PeteF
    I promised my wife I wouldn't work so late into the evenings as I'm quite busy at work and pretty shagged, so won't have a chance to try it until tomorrow.
    If you are shagged at work, I must ask what you do for living? Say hi to your wife from here

Leave a comment:

• 1200rpm
    replied
    just did that

Pete,
    funny you should ask- i actually did exactly what you were thinking just yesterday- modified a cheap AXA Aloris copy to take the 5/8" tapered blades from my lantern holder. i have a number of really good cobalt blades and needed a way to use them. the mod works fantastic, it was a little tricky to get the angles just right and it took me way too long but the results are well worth it- on my 10K i can part at turning speed with very little heat build-up because of the side clearance of those blades. you will like it a lot.
    Last edited by 1200rpm; 04-23-2011, 01:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• luthor
    replied
    Pete, you can easily work out the exact angle by measuring at the thickest point at the top of the blade, the thinnest at the bottom and the height then apply a little trig. This is a much more reliable way to measure angles than using a protractor or other angle measuring device except maybe a Sine Bar.

Leave a comment:

• Ron of Va
    replied
    I stuck a really small drill bit between the blade and the holder to kick out the bottom enough to make the tool vertical. It was a temporary fix that I intended to address, but never have.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Forrest I changed the angle to approximately 2 degrees

I promised my wife I wouldn't work so late into the evenings as I'm quite busy at work and pretty shagged, so won't have a chance to try it until tomorrow. I think the taper on these blades is a bit over 2 degrees either side, but it's a little difficult to measure so I just settled on 2 for now and will see how it parts now.

Sorry the images are pretty crappy, I just use my phone and the iPhone 3 isn't the ideal for this type of thing. I should have ground out that big China branding while I was at it!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks Frank. I was wondering if someone had done something with the blade eg shimmed it or similar. However it looks like we both had the same idea, just a different approach to suit the different blades, so I think I'll also modify the holder. It's not like these holders are irreplaceable heirlooms

Pete

Leave a comment:

• Frank Ford
    replied
    I've never tried tapered blades - mine are all "T" shaped, but I had the same problem with the slot, so I just milled a groove to allow clearance for the top of the "T":

My modified one on the left, Aloris on right:

The full write-up: http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/To...offholder.html
    Last edited by Frank Ford; 04-23-2011, 03:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic improving Aloris copy parting tool holder?

improving Aloris copy parting tool holder?

I use an Aloris copy Chinese QCTP and have been very happy with it with one exception. The parting tool holder is ground vertical, however I use tapered parting tools. The result it the parting tool next to the holder is vertical, while the other side is at the full taper angle (around 4 degrees).

To alleviate that I was going to pop the holder on the grinder at 2 degrees and grind the holder to suit the parting blades (they seem to be tapered around 2 degrees either side), however before doing so I thought I'd ask around as to how other members have got around this situation?

Pete
Working...
X