Machinist BBs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machinist BBs?

When I first discovered this website I found it to be a wealth of good machining and machinists tips and related information. I even talked several friends into buying subscriptions to your publications in order to support the website. Now it seems the general theme of the "General machinist related" thread has changed. How exactly does the local weather report, selling items on E-Bay, gardening tips, animal husbandry, yard lights, chickens and weddings, Bob Fisher(?), Tornados, nuclear leaks in Japan, the price of gas, and who Brittney Spears is sleeping with this week rate as "Home Shop Machinist" worthy news? Jesus, isn't that what crap the same waste of web space like "Face Book" is for? Isn't this supposed to be an information exchange for "Gearheads, grease-monkeys and old swarf-makers"?
    To be honest, I didn't log on here tonight to see what color bloomers the Queen wore to the wedding, free coupons for "discount boner pills" at Walmart, and/or how to lose 45 pounds and inches from my waist in 15 days. I'm sure I'm not alone after reading several other posts. Perhaps you should consider starting another thread, "Lonely bored guys w. too much free time who want to chat about topics that have absolutly nothing to do with anything to do with machining ". Don't get me wrong, there is absolutly nothing wrong with "Chat Rooms", but they are generally best when they are "Topic Specific".

Perhaps you should come back and revisit that statement in a few years when you've some more posts on here to your name.
    Why? Because then you will probably realise that this is a 'community' - online like many others - that has a common interest in machining, but also other things in life.
    I've made a number of friends on here I would happily chat with about anything, more than a few that I've met in person, and several more I could happily spend weekends drinking with. And chat with them about machining, and fuel prices, and weather, and world events, and bikes, and cars, and women.
    Just like any other BBS.

Comment

I will take mild issue with your complaint. This weekend I am exhibiting at NAMES, the North American Model Engineering Exposition near Detroit. For three days I am involved in talking with thousands of people about my projects, other guy's projects, machining, tools, CNC, etc. During the course of these conversations some or maybe all of the off-topics you describe may come up.

Is this wrong? Should I suggest that maybe the people who talk about such things in passing might have more fun taking the the ladies shuttle bus to the nearby mall? I think not.

I enjoy the wide-ranging well rounded topics that people bring here. These guys are people, not Idiot Savant Machinists. Well, mostly.
      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by dhenry2001
        Isn't this supposed to be an information exchange for "Gearheads, grease-monkeys and old swarf-makers"?
        It could be pointed out..that of your 6 posts to date...only 3 of them conform to your expectations.

So lead from the front.. There is nothing stopping you from creating topic specific threads of the type you want to read. You may even want to help steer the dialogue by posting aswell.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
          These guys are people, not Idiot Savant Machinists. Well, mostly.
          LOL, nice one Weston.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Nice rant!

Next time you compose something like that, wait 'til the morning before you post it.
            Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

I'll add my concurrence with the OP. While I'm not as annoyed as he appears, it's still somewhat irritating when a board for a specific given topic doesn't actually contain much that actually pertains to that topic.

Yes, I understand there's a certain degree of "community" here, and as such, people often wish to share news and events with friends, even if those events have nothing to do with the community. It's the same reason we talk sports at the office or make small talk with our dentist or chat about the new grandkid with a bank teller you barely know.

I've done it myself. Most everyone here has.

But as the OP notes, occasionally it gets to the point the "off topic" fluff outweighs the on-topic.

And the problem with that is that there are dozens of places specifically for "off topic" conversation. The internet is chock-full of boards where you can go to discuss virtually anything you want. Gun control, politics, religion, abortion, you name it, have at it.

Personally, I don't come here to find out what Bob's opinion of the Royal wedding is, or to read about Fred's computer problems or to check out the latest "fun website" that Steve found through a forwarded email.

I come here to read about machines, machinists, and machining. Or at least topics somewhat related to all that, or the shops it occurs in, or whatever.

Yes, it can indeed get kind of boring to read on occasion. But that's what other boards, that cover other topics, are for.

This is not a call to end OT entirely. An occasional aside is often welcome. BUT... it is a suggestion that maybe, just maybe, we don't need to hear about somebody's new flock of chickens, or that welding project that involves no machine tools past a hand drill, or yet another complain on the cost of gasoline.

This is not "publish or perish". There's no need to post something- anything- just to "keep the board alive". If we go a day or two between posts, it's not the end of the world.

I suggest we all be just a little more selective of what we post. A little more on-topic, quite a bit less off-topic.

Doc.
              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Of all the forums I visit this one is the most interesting and well rounded. I think it is the OT topics that helps makes it so. HSM consistently has more posts, more informed posts, more interesting posts, and more entertaining posts than all the others put together. Some of the forums that don't allow OT are about as interesting as watching grass grow and I believe their machinist content suffers for it, the free flow of ideas just isn't there.

Bill

Comment

I'm more in line with Doc's comments - not quite as annoyed as the OP, but I find myself sometimes opening the page, doing a skim over and never opening a topic.

No scientific study, but seems the percentage of wildly OTs to 'slightly' OTs are running well over 50%.

And I also dont want to see an ironclad "ABSOLUTELY NO OT POSTINGS" policy adapted, but ....a few less would be nice.
                  If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

dhenry2001, start a new thread relating to machining. Lead by example.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel
                      I

This is not a call to end OT entirely. An occasional aside is often welcome. BUT... it is a suggestion that maybe, just maybe, we don't need to hear about somebody's new flock of chickens, or that welding project that involves no machine tools past a hand drill, or yet another complain on the cost of gasoline.
                      Doc.
                      Doc, the only thing is with the thousands of readers it only takes one
                      post every now and then to make quite a bundle. :-)

And as Bill said: ( I find myself sometimes opening the page, doing a skim over and never opening a topic.)

Any post that doesn't look like it's related to your particular taste
                      that day, just skip over it. I think it's a bit egotistical to think every-
                      one should have the same tastes as the OP. :-)
                      ...lew...ps. I see exactly 4 out of 20 on the first page not related to machining.
                      Last edited by Lew Hartswick; 05-01-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I usually don't read boring OT Threads...
                        Gee, Problem solved.

Comment

Doc, thanks for clearly stating what I was thinking! I won't try to influence other poster's topics, but I would really appreciate seeing accurate and descriptive headers so I can waste less time clicking a 'maybe'.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel
                            BUT... it is a suggestion that maybe, just maybe, we don't need to hear about somebody's new flock of chickens, or that welding project that involves no machine tools past a hand drill, or yet another complain on the cost of gasoline.
                            I agree with all of that Doc... except the welding project. You can argue that this is a machinist board, but I personally like to see (and post ) welding projects as well. Those cool stands you made for your grinders were almost purely welding projects, for example, but were a great read.

Yes, there's a welding sub-forum (as well as a CNC sub-forum), but no one reads it.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

dhenry2001, you don't really think we should discuss nothing but machining do you? How boring that would be. We are like everyone, we discuss what we see and hear about as well as machine things.

It's kind of like a coffee shop or gathering of men, it may start with machine work and then goes around to other subjects. Kind of like lunch break at work.

"Man, drilling and tapping the plate all morning has been a bugger but say, did you hear about what Tom has been doing at home"

Yeah, George could make an OT forum but why? Just read the topics that catch your interest. I may read the first post in most the threads and never look at it again and it's easy for you to do the same.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X