Busy Week of success and failure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busy Week of success and failure.

Ok haven’t been posting for a while……. But let me try and redeem myself.
    I’m going to try and doo this in one post so just hangon for a sec.
    Funny how one job turns into twenty.
    I started with finishing my heads for two pull scrapers like the swiss scraper technic that featured awhile ago.
    All started well.

Little bit of rounding the edge to make it look better note to self …I really need a 4 jaw chuck.

Ok now to cut a slit …. I don’t have a slit saw and my wood saw blade I use for Alu makes a heck of a noise on steel so I tried a abrasive saw that did a pretty good job.
    The down side is you have to cover your ways like a hazmat spil and like a learned the hard way, it create a lot of heat that gets transferred to your quill and makes it expand.
    On my second head it expanded to much that the slit cut 2mm lower and a bit skew.

Then drilled and tapped the holes and what do you know snapped a tap in the last hole.
    It’s stupid but my inner voice said …stop it’s a crap tap it’s gonna snap (yes he’s a poet and know it)
    So now what …. Then I remembered this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUN4_-xp1Wc ) and figured lets try it .
    So some scratching in the goodie bin and a bit of masking tape and 20 mins later I ended up with this.
    If you are using violence and it does not work, You are not using enough or it is upside down.
    You can always just EDM it...

It did not work fast but after about 4 hours over 2 days it turned 12mm of M6 tap into

It chewed through the root and I just scraped the rest out, just to give some scale on this

Since this is a mickey mouse setup and it’s setup already I did a speed test on 25V 6A with a 20uF cap
    I made this 5mm wide hole in 3mm thick spring steel in 35 mins.
    If you are using violence and it does not work, You are not using enough or it is upside down.

Comment

It does dance around a bit before it finds it center but come on it a solinoid taped to thread rod.
      Ok back to the scrapers here it the finished heads.

And here is the handles I made, I used M10 thread rod since I don’t know what handle position will be cumfy, now I can adjust them till they feel fine.

Next project DRO for tailstock…

Done …sweet.

Comment

Next I needed a M10 bottoming tap.
        Easy just grind down a normal tap, all good and well but how to do it perpendicular with the tap …

Done.
        PS. I used a welder earth clamp to hold it (made by Groz ) works really well as a hand clamp.

Next project
        Let’s finish the dovetail cutter what has been half finished for the past year.
        Epic fail.

Next try I have to use a bigger insert the insert came loose from the screw during use and well a picture tells a thousand profanities.

All in all a good week.

Comment

Westline,
          That clamp for the tailstock DRO, the face of the square clamp that facing you in the vertical plane, thin as much off as possible to stop it fouling the toolpost.

Ask me how I know ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Good point ...will do.
            I just finished it so have not tried it yet.
            Thanks for the heads up

Comment

I almost forgot.
              I got a long piece of HSS blade from my dad and after some grinding I finally have some half decent parting blades and a holder.
              Last edited by Westline; 05-01-2011, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Well, well, well, you sure have been a busy little bugger. I'm curious about the setup to eat out the tap. What is that?
                It's only ink and paper

Comment

brilliant, way to go, that is the first duct tape EDM i've seen...and it worked! Best part was in that video, they use a mic as a C clamp! too funny
                  Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-01-2011, 11:35 PM.

Comment

ok Just how did you hook the capacitor into their circuit??? inquiring minds want to know!!

and what circuit and how much current were you using on the tap???

Hey it may be slow but it did get the job done!! have you considered building something a bit more finished to have on hand for the next time??

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                      brilliant, way to go, that is the first duct tape EDM i've seen...and it worked! Best part was in that video, they use a mic as a C clamp! too funny
                      Yea, that C clamp really disturbed me. That is why people are not allowed to use my good $20 chinese mics. :P
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by fredf
                        ok Just how did you hook the capacitor into their circuit??? inquiring minds want to know!!

and what circuit and how much current were you using on the tap???

Hey it may be slow but it did get the job done!! have you considered building something a bit more finished to have on hand for the next time??
                        Here is a pic of how the setup is connected

The current is 6A shorted but the short time is so brief that the transformer does not even heat up.
                        DO NOT EVER leave this setup unattended the bit sometimes gets stuck in contact and well that will burn the transformer.
                        The setup is like the You tube video I linked earlier but I put a spring in the solenoid to increase the cycle time and stop the bit from bouncing to much.
                        At first I just used the solenoid tip as a bit but it wears down quick so I threaded it to a M3 and put a long M3 nut on it.
                        I then screwed in cut off M3 screw in the other end to use as a cutting bit.
                        Especially when removing a tap keep the tip of the bit as flat as possible or it will start sliding to the side and not cut the root of the tap but the side of the hole.
                        When the bit gets worn ...takes about 20mins...... just replace it with a new screw.
                        Flushing also helps a lot to stop arcing to the side of the hole.
                        I used Mineral turpentine ....It's pretty much the same as Kerosene, clean oil also works well.
                        I later used EP90 oil to dampen the noise while doing this at night but shield it, it splashes a bit.

This really showed me the value of a EDM machine I already got Ben Flemmings book and hope to build a variation of his machine in the up coming months.
                        I have a few changes in my design but it is basicly the same machine.
                        I'm trying to up load a video of my tape edm, I'll post the link as soon as it is up.

Kobus

Comment

The link to my setup video.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8D1YxcWzPQ
                          I know the quality sucks but it keeps the file small.

Kobus

Comment

Thanks for the description of how you did it. I have plans for an EDM that I have been saving for years to build someday.
                            Last edited by Carld; 05-02-2011, 06:24 PM.
                            It's only ink and paper

Comment

Kobus
                              Thanks for taking the time to post a diagram, I wold think that the cap would slow the cycle time a lot, though would add a lot of current when the points come together!!

fred

Originally posted by Westline
                              Here is a pic of how the setup is connected

Comment

Working...
                              X