Any Hams out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always used one of these keys:-

...screwed to the desk. Except that some of us used our own private 'bug' keys.

Comment

You'll notice that some of the older straight keys are covered with a plastic shroud - some of the old boat anchors used to give quite the "tickle" due to the type of keying circuit they employed!

Ham since ~1977. Vibroplex iambic paddle with Logikey K-5 (and I still have my 1st straight key)

Walt
      WB2VSJ

Comment

Any Hams out there?

Congratulations on your licence. I have had mine for about 15 yrs (although I don't use it much), and belong to the local club, because the are an eclectic bunch. I love the fact that 2m has way better coverage tha a cell phone in rurral areas.

VE7BWT

Comment

N0PTW /AG clear, no traffic,
          Just got the general passed first try a few weeks ago. Missed too many on the extra, didn't study for the extra.

I have been a Technician for nearly 20 years, just didn't see a need for HF until ServSD started wanting to use HF for emergency communications. Now I can help out if needed.

N0PTW (Paul)

Comment

I am happy to see so many hams on this board, congrats on passing your general as well. I wish I still had my Icom 706mk2g, sold it over 8 years ago.
            I have a very strong interest now in doing QRP with cw, and I want to try making my own qrp rig.
            SWMBO has already killed my plans of buying a Yaesu 817! Back in 2003 I was very active on 2m/440, and DX on 6 meters.
            I also have a strong interest in vacuum tubes all of a sudden... Weird...

Comment

Shouldn't this thread have started with "CQ CQ CQ ..." ?

Bob here, N8NCD code tech from early 90's. Played on 2M a bit then found the internet and went no further. I should have stuck with it: you should too. I remember logging some beautifully rich/warm sounding AM coms around 50M IIRC. Those gents knew their stuff!

73, Bob
              Last edited by Bob Farr; 05-08-2011, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Farr
                Shouldn't this thread have started with "CQ CQ CQ ..." ?
                73, Bob

if a mod wants to change it it should be "CQ CQ CQ de KB1HRG"

de N1ONU

Comment

N6QO here.

I've been a ham a year or two shy of 50 years. Took all my tests (Novice excepted of course) in the FCC field offices, the last being my Extra in 1972 while still in the military.

That being said, I owe a lot to Ham Radio. I learned a lot about electronics and radio at an early age, all of which impacted my life's course significantly.

Just as important, I learned just as much by talking to people, lots of people, different than me, that lived in different places than me, that saw the world differently than me and knew of things that I had no idea of. Furthermore, as a young boy, I learned the art of 'verbal' communication; how to be a good listener, how to respond appropriately, and how to 'strike up' a conversation, great life skills.

Fred

Comment

73 DE AD5MB Amateur Extra

straight keys led to a new malady known as "telegraphers wrist." now known as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I avoid straight keys, which is irrelevant since I also avoid CW.

Comment

VE7PKE CN89
                      Congrats on getting licensed.
                      Been a ham for more that half my life.
                      I have had the opportunity to meet many wonderful people. Many have been major influences both personally and professionally.
                      My career and my wife have both been a direct result of Hams.
                      de Dave

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB
                        73 DE AD5MB Amateur Extra

straight keys led to a new malady known as "telegraphers wrist." now known as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I avoid straight keys, which is irrelevant since I also avoid CW.

Some keys are worse than others and the UK Post Office key is the best at avoiding 'glass arm'. In my opinion any position that allows the forearm to rest on the table is bad news, as are springy type keys. The best position is with the Post Office key screwed to the edge of the table. I do dits with my fingers and dahs by dropping my wrist.

Comment

Congrats on your lic... Nice work in the key. My dad did code in the Navy and we have tried several times to learn it, I was close to 5WPM when I got my Tech Lic but never took the code test. Would still love to learn it, but time is not so free today. Seems like we do more now that back in the 90s when I started with HAM.

73s... KD4VCU - General about to move to Extra.

Comment

Originally posted by gunbuilder
                            N0PTW /AG clear, no traffic,
                            Just got the general passed first try a few weeks ago. Missed too many on the extra, didn't study for the extra.

I have been a Technician for nearly 20 years, just didn't see a need for HF until ServSD started wanting to use HF for emergency communications. Now I can help out if needed.

N0PTW (Paul)
                            Not ag, got my ticket in the mail today.
                            Thanks,
                            Paul

Comment

W5QPB, first licensed as KN4DHG in Lakeland, Florida about 1954. Worked the world on CW as a novice, using a Johnson Viking Ranger, Collins 75A4, and a Windom antenna. Good times!
                              Don Young

Comment

Working...
                              X